Chapter 27: The Price Of Loyalty

Dear Rosella,

The Covey and I were honored to receive your letter. I'm Lucy Gray's cousin, Barb Azure. You were correct about Lucy Gray disappearing, though we don't know exactly what happened. We know that the mayor's daughter and her boyfriend, Lucy Gray's ex boyfriend and former member of the Covey, were shot, and the mayor blamed Lucy Gray. We received a letter from her confirming this and she assured us she is safe, though she could not tell us where she is at the risk of revealing her position. If we find a way, I will ensure she gets your message.

I must admit, we have all been struggling since she left, and I can't tell you how much we appreciate the money you sent us. Under normal circumstances, I would object to charity, but it is the only thing that has kept us from starving these past few weeks.Things are getting much worse in District 12, we are no longer allowed to perform at the Hob, prices of food have gone up, and peacekeepers are becoming more and more strict.

We don't have much to offer, but our younger cousin, Maude Ivory has taken an interest in embroidery, and she insisted on giving this to you in thanks. We hope all is well with you, and again, thank you. I fear mail between districts is becoming more and more difficult. So, I apologize if we cannot write back again.

Sincerely,

Barb Azure

Rosella smiled as she unpacked the contents of the letter. It had been a month since she wrote to the Covey, and it was risky enough sending mail to the districts. Mrs. Plinth often exchanged mail with her sister back in District Two, but they were the Plinth's after all. She knew it was risky, but it was worth it. Maude Ivory had done a lovely design of a rose on what she assumed was meant to be a pillowcase.

Dear Barb Azure,

You are most welcome, it was no trouble. Maude Ivory is very talented. With my grandmother redecorating our apartment, I wonder if I might commission more of her embroidered work. My family has a thing for roses, if you couldn't tell by my name.

I am sorry to hear about your inability to perform. As a musician myself, it is outrageous to be forbidden to perform. I will see if there is anything I can do on my end, and I will ensure you are still able to receive mail as I have connections with the postal service.

It may come as a shock, but I do understand what it is like to worry about money and hunger. Lucy Gray is the reason my brother won the money that helped us, therefore, I feel I owe it to you and your family to share, as it was her doing, and I am certain it is what she would want. Do not think of it as charity, as it is the rightful winnings of Lucy Gray, and you are simply accepting it on her behalf. Do not hesitate to write back if there is anything else I can help you with. All I ask is you keep this to yourself, as it is possible I will get in trouble for aiding your family. However, it is reasonable considering my brother's time spent in District 12, and could be explained if necessary.

Sincerely,

Rosella Snow

Rosella attached double the money she had given last time, as her job teaching at the symphony paid well, and her family no longer depended on any money she may make, so it was hers to do as she pleased. And after reading what Barb Azure wrote, this was certainly what she was pleased to do with it. She would tell the Grandma'am that the embroidered pillow was bought from an upscale shop, and insist on buying more. She would surely not object to the newfound ability to spend more frivolously.

Though it made her happy to be of help to the Covey, she couldn't help thinking about the twenty three other families who had lost their children, and very likely lost means of income. She would try to get the last names of them all and send money to them as well. Then again, sending money to the Covey was risky enough. As she wrote in the letter, she could come up with excuses to do that. How would she explain sending money to the other tribute's families, whom she had no connection with? Perhaps she could speak to Dean Highbottom, and see if something may be implemented.