Chapter 26: Out Of Control

Corioalnus joined his friends and Tigris in the hall where hors d'oeuvres and drinks would be served for an after party. The Grandma'am had already retired for the evening, given she usually went to bed an hour prior. Livia remained by his side until he told her she should go talk to Pippa's older sister about the next Hartford party she was hoping to be invited to.

Rosella made an entrance with Avi and Gemma, resulting in a round of applause and congratulations. She smiled and tried to acknowledge everyone, but made a beeline for Coriolanus and Tigris. Tigris squealed and ran over to meet her for a hug.

"Amazing, amazing!" She repeated excitedly.

Coriolanus hugged her as well, lifting her off the ground and spinning her around. "You are sensational," he said, kissing her cheek.

"Thank you!" She beamed. Many of her other friends came up to congratulate her as well to which she of course appreciated, but found slightly overwhelming.

The night started calm and classy, but as people drank more and more posca and the music got louder, the party certainly livened up.

"Rosella," Mrs. Plinth approached her. "Strabo and I are heading out now, we're getting too old for these late nights," she laughed, "but we are so proud of you!"

"Aww, thank you, so much Ma," Rosella smiled, hugging her. "I really appreciate you guys coming out, I couldn't have done it without you!"

"It was a privilege, Miss Snow," Mr. Plinth smiled, giving her a rare and stiff, but still sweet, hug.

"Rosieee!" Pippa sang after the Plinth's had left. "Try some of this, it's great," she handed her champagne glass. "I added a little something!"

"Pippa, stop!" She giggled. "You're gonna get us in trouble!"

"It's totally fine! You deserve to celebrate!"

Rosella took a sip and laughed with Pippa, when she noticed Avi waving her to the stage. He, along with many other members of the smaller jazz band ensemble had been performing, taking turns in smaller groups, and apparently it was her turn.

She had the time of her life. Of course she loved the orchestra, but performing with her closest friends to a smaller audience was where she was most comfortable.

"I've never seen her so happy," Tigris said to Coriolanus.

"I know," he smiled, "it's great seeing her like this."

After finishing an upbeat, jazzy number, she bounced off of the stage again.

"I missed you guys!" She smiled, throwing her arms around her brother and cousin.

"We just saw you!" Tigris laughed.

"I know," Rosella said.

"Have you been drinking?" Coriolanus asked suddenly.

She held out two fingers to represent a pinch. "Just a little," she giggled.

"Are you crazy?" Coriolanus hissed. "Drink some water!" He snatched a glass from the bar and gripped her arm

"No, no, no, it's totally fine," Rosella smiled. "It was like two sips."

"Well, stop!" Coriolanus snapped. "You can't look like a party girl here!"

"Well, see, that's rather hypocritical..." Rosella said, unfazed by Coriolanus's attitude. "I seem to remember you and Festus coming home drunk at fifteen!"

"That is not the point!" He said, tightening his grip on her arm. "I'm just... trying to protect you," his voice softened.

"It's fine, Coryo..." Tigris said, "Look around, everyone's just having fun! We're all safe, and Ro's a smart girl."