⚚ chapter four ⚚

"just to learn that you never care, you're on your own, kid, you always have been" you're on your own kid, taylor swift

The next few days, Rhea helped Percy settle into a routine that felt almost normal.

Each morning Percy took Ancient Greek from Annabeth, and they talked about the gods and goddesses in the present tense, which was kind of weird. After that, he and Rhea would go over Greek myths.

"Knowing these stories could help save your life one day." Rhea had said grimly.

It was there he learnt that Rhea was not only the name of an emu (sorry, ostrich!), but the mother to many of the gods including Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades.

"So not an emu." Percy said.

"No, Percy." Rhea sighed. "Not an emu."

Rhea took Percy to rotate through outdoor activities for the rest of the day. They were trying to find something he was good at, and failing. Rhea knew the feeling of embarrassment. Everyone had a niche at camp, from sword fighting to pegasus riding. Rhea knew how it felt to not excel at any.

After desnagging arrows from Chiron's tail after archery practice, laughing and consoling percy that the wood nymphs were fast for trees, and watching Percy get pummelling by Clarisse on the wrestling match, Rhea found that Percy did well at canoeing.

Huh. Figures.

Whilst all the other campers placed bets on Percy's heritage, Rhea held her tongue. She wasn't a child of Athena. She didn't know anything, so why would she be right about this?

Rhea tried to keep Percy's spirits up after days passed and no sign from his father arrived. She tried to swallow her bitterness, not wanting to taint Percy's hope. It wasn't easy.

Now, Rhea and the rest of her cabin mates stood in the circular sword fighting arena for Percy's first sword fighting lesson. Rhea was a little nervous, she'd seen his clumsiness in archery (firsthand when she had to duck for her life. She was standing in the opposite direction of the target. She's not sure how Percy managed that.) and didn't want the boy to accidentally impale himself or Luke.

They moved on to duelling in pairs.

Percy shuffled over to Rhea sheepishly. He scratched the back of his neck. "I was, uh, wondering if you wanted to be my partner?"

Rhea blinked in surprise. "Oh, I-um. I would Percy, really, but I'm normally partners with Ethan."

"Whose Ethan?"

Luke interrupted, stating cheerily. "You're with me Percy! Since it's your first time and all. You can be with Rhea next time."

Rhea shuffled away awkwardly. She didn't know why a blush was creeping up her cheeks.

"What an ass." Ethan scowled.

"He didn't know Ethan."

The boy shrugged as if that didn't matter.

Ethan and Rhea sparred. He was better than her, by a lot, but he was still gentle.

"You've got to be meaner with your hits Ethan. Stop going easy on me. Monsters won't." Rhea argued, the sword was heavy in her hand. She much preferred the lightness of her knives.

Eventually Luke called a break.

"Thank Gods." Rhea heaved, drenched in sweat. She was glad Silena had braided her hair into a crown so it was off her neck.