⚚ prologue ⚚

It is a sunny day in California and Elijah Harroway is about to commit murder.

It's morning and already heat creeps through the glazed windows, but it washes the bedroom in a beautiful golden light. For a moment, with his eyes closed and the feeling of the sun simmering on his skin, Elijah is at peace. There is no noise. No stress, anger, and fear. No gods and goddesses and monsters.

A cry ruins the moment of calm. Elijah can never get any peace. The cry continues to ring through the air, piercing Elijah's tranquillity. It's not a cry really, more a scream. Already, the little beast is so angry. Elijah understands how it feels.

He approaches the bassinet. It sits in the corner, unassuming and plain. It's a simple pink. Elijah might be unconventional in many ways, but so far he has stuck to blue for boys, and pink for girls.

The child is still crying. Elijah wants to shake it and tell her to shut up, that this screaming won't solve anything. Not her hunger and loneliness, and certainly not her future.

"Shush now." Elijah says.

The knife in his hand is starting to get heavy and the sweat beading at his palms loosens it in his grip.

The baby is unassuming, but already Elijah can feel the power radiating off of her. As much as he hates her mother, she has done well to hide her daughter. For now, she is concealed from paranoid deities and scathing monsters. For now, she is safe. As safe as a demigod can be, that is.

Elijah sighs, tucking the knife away. The fury that has been bubbling away since this child's arrival and the terror over what the future means with the destruction this child will bring for the moment is washed over by the revulsion over what he was about to do. Even if his contempt won out, Elijah is not stupid enough to cross the child's mother. From the way the woman purred with pride when handing him the child, preaching of the power and hopes this child would bring, the goddess would reign hellfire against even him if she needed to, cursing any Ancient Law and Fate.

For now, the girl sleeps.

And the world is safer for it.

A/N:

And the prologue is up! I'm so so excited for this story! 

Please vote and comment :)