Chapter Seventeen

Sudeley Castle (July 1530)

The King's court was on its annual summer progress across the country. Presently, the court was residing at Sudeley Castle in Gloucestershire. It was Bessie's favourite of all the royal Tudor palaces that she had stayed in.

The soft-coloured brickwork and the delicate architecture, set amongst the lush rolling hills of the countryside, made for a beautiful and relaxing residence, especially compared to the bustling palaces of London.

Bessie had spent much of her time reading, sewing and riding. She had unusually spent little time with Anne, for Anne was with the King almost every hour of the day. In fact, the whisperers and gossipers of the court murmured that she was all but Queen in name, except for the most formal events where Queen Katherine would make a rare appearance.

Whilst Bessie had missed the company of her closest friend, Anne's absence had allowed her interactions with Edward to almost double.

Frankly, the pair had spent the majority of the time exchanging longing and intense glances in the corridors, across the seats of the chapel, and during court events. Yet, there had also been times when Tom, the Seymour messenger who had delivered the necklace to Bessie, had been able to carry small notes and gifts between them.

They had to be subtle, for they knew the risks that came with their secret courtship. But Bessie could not bring herself to stay away from him; nor did Edward seem to wish to let her go again.

...

Following an unsettled day of wind and rain, a wonderfully warm and sunny week had graced the royal court in Gloucestershire.

The courtiers made frequent visits to the archery butts and attended long hunting trips whilst the weather was glorious.

Indeed, most of the court had left that day to attend a festival run by the local village, whose inhabitants were thrilled at the sight of their King. They were less thrilled with the presence of Anne Boleyn.

Bessie, on the other hand, was greatly relieved for the tranquillity that the absence of the majority of the royal court afforded. She was sat under the shade of a sizable willow tree within the vast grounds of the castle, reading her copy of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

A gentle breeze tickled Bessie's long mane of curls as she turned her face towards the sun to bask in its warmth. She could almost hear Mrs Morely's admonishing in her ear, telling her to not let the sun ruin her pale complexion, and smiled to herself.

The soft bird song that had been delighting her ears made way for the sound of light footsteps that approached behind her.

She turned her head to see Tom, the Seymour messenger, with a broad grin on his face.

"Greetings Lady Elizabeth! What a fine summer morning," he greeted cheerily, and offered her a quick bow.

"Good Morning, Tom," she replied with a warm smile.

"God's Bones! I have been running around like a knave searching for you all this morning," he said good-naturedly, "Why are you hiding out here?"

"My apologies, Tom, but I just had to make the most of such a peaceful day," she teased. Moving her hands up to feel her face, she laughed. "Oh, I hope I am not sunburnt."

"Nay, my lady, you are a vision as always," Tom grinned.

"Flatterer," she admonished playfully, "So, what brings you here Tom?"

"I have a message from Sir Edward, though it is more of an invitation."

"Oh? Pray do tell."

"My lord would like you to accompany him on a ride today whilst most of the court are absent."