Chapter Fourteen

Greenwich Palace (August 1529)

The Legatine court in England did not need to readjourn, for the verdict from Rome, and the Pope himself, had finally arrived: the marriage of King Henry and Queen Katherine was valid, and Henry was to put aside Anne at once.

The King was furious; he was certain that Rome was going to declare in his favour. The King's wrath fell almost entirely upon Cardinal Wolsey, who in the eyes of the King had explicitly failed to obtain the annulment he promised his sovereign.

The verdict, however, did not stop Henry from reaffirming his personal views on his marriage. He refused to give up Anne. In fact, he only lavished more gifts upon her and flaunted her more frequently at his side at court events, whilst the Queen was often excluded.

To distract him from his marriage woes, and to make the most of a beautiful August day, the King had arranged a hunting parting with his closest friends and advisors at Greenwich Palace's vast grounds. The group included only those in the King's highest favour, such as Anne, Bessie, Charles Brandon, George Boleyn and Edward Seymour. The Queen was to be left at the palace with only a select few ladies to attend her.

Bessie was making the final touches to her riding attire in her chambers. She was wearing a navy riding gown, with a simple navy headpiece to match. She had plaited her long curly blonde hair to the side, though some unruly curls still escaped the braid. Trying in vain to pin the curls back in her mirror, she huffed and gave up, leaving her chambers to find the rest of the hunting party.

Making her way to the courtyard, she saw Anne standing by her grey mare and in conversation with George. Anne was wearing a beautiful cream gown that was adorned with black embroidery, and a flamboyant headpiece complete with a white feather to decorate her dark hair.

Bessie saw Anne tip her head back and laugh joyfully at something that George muttered to her. To most observers, Anne displayed confidence and positivity despite the Pope's damning verdict. Bessie knew Anne well enough to know that this was only a façade; Anne was brilliant at masking her true feelings. Bessie had spent the past few evenings in Anne's chambers trying to reassure her friend, who was anxious and shaken by the verdict.

Bessie walked over to a groom, who was holding her bay horse Sampson. Sampson had been a gift from Anne, a year into her courtship with the King, and Bessie adored him. He was lean and fast, but always seemed to know when to take it easy.

"Shall I help you to mount, my Lady?" the groom asked her.

Bessie smiled at him. "Please, I would be grateful."

The groom helped her to mount Sampson side saddle. Bessie personally preferred to ride astride, but the men of the court would certainly frown upon her for breaking court custom.

Shifting on Sampson to make herself more comfortable, and patting his glossy coat, she became aware of a rider drawing rein close to her.

She looked to her right and locked eyes with Edward Seymour.

He inclined his head, and did not speak, but what was left unspoken came across clearly in the depth of his grey eyes, a sort of strange tenderness that made her heart skip.

She inclined her head slightly in return. She had still not spoken to him after their last surprising encounter, for they were both busy with their respective court duties, and only crossed paths in the presence of others.

She opened her mouth to begin to speak to him, but she was cut off by the piercing sound of the hunting horn, which signalled the beginning of the hunt. She gave him a bashful smile and nudged Sampson into a trot.