First Day Of The Last Year

The ring of a bell echoed out through the classroom as a collection of students, ranging in age from six to eight years old finished their assignments. Just before they headed out, a woman who seemed to be in her early twenties stood in front of the whiteboard and pointed a ruler at the board. Her bright red glasses and vibrant orange hair stood out and grabbed the attention of the class like a ray of sunshine on the day of spring, and while their eyes were on her, she gave them all a simple challenge.

"Now, class i know we're all eager to leave for summer vacation but before you leave i have an offer of sorts. Whoever can answer most if not all of my questions correctly gets one free gift."

The class tilted their heads as they questioned just what this gift could be, having their little minds filled with possibilities and imagination. Out of pure curiosity, the entire class remained seated despite the fact that the bell that allowed them all to leave just rang. 

"Who can tell me what is the term for people who gain access to their abilities at the age of Ten?"

At the exact moment she asked that question, the entire class decided to speak at once. For them, it was easy since most if not all of them were already looking forward to that day. Either way, this made the children excited, as the first question was so easy. So easy to where they thought the others had to be just as easy.

"BLOOMERS!"

Cracking a large yet nervous smile, the teacher moved her hands downward to get the class calmed down for a bit. Clearly, she made a bit of an oversight as the class erupted with the answer, causing an apparent amount of noise to echo throughout the room and bleed into the hallway. 

So it was best to make a slight change to the rules of this to reduce the level of noise and make sure she doesn't get a noise complaint from any of the other teachers in the building. 

"Ok that one is on me, before answering raise your hands and I'll pick the one who raises their hand the fastest."

With that being said, the teacher's eyes started to glow a bright blue color as her perception seemingly slowed to that of a snail's pace. Everything moved in slow motion for her except for herself, which maintained a normal speed.

"Alright, what is the term used for someone who gains their powers after the age of Ten?"

A girl with snow white skin and golden blond hair had her right hand shoot up into the air just milliseconds faster than any of the students could get theirs up. To a normal teacher, it would be hard to tell who put their hands up the fastest, but this one had a trick up her sleeve. Since the girl raised her hand first, she was given the floor to speak as the teacher pointed over to her.

"Yes Kathy!"

Chuckling to herself, Kathy started to formulate what she wanted to say to the teacher. It was clear she wasn't planning on taking this type of thing seriously, so once she got what she wanted to say in her head she blurted it out with the confidence of a lion.

"Losers!"

The class began breaking into laughter at Kathy's comment even if it wasn't all that funny to begin with. In their developing minds it was pretty entertaining to say the least. 

"No Kathy they aren't losers... Does anyone else wanna take a shot at it?"

Suddenly, with that offer being made, another hand shot up, and this time it was a girl with caramel-colored skin, bright blue eyes, and brown hair. She didn't seem all that interested; in fact, when she raised her hand, her face looked as if she were focused more on the outside world as she looked out the window to her left. But she might as well answer anyway to avoid hearing meanspirited answers like that one again.