Chapter 6: First Survey

Start from the beginning

Hearing this you nodded being used to these kinds stories while Akari just looked torn between horrified silence and morbid curiosity. But the professor continued before she could properly make up her mind.

Laventon: However before he left back for the village, Rei had reported seeing strange color variation in the silkoon from the colony on the other side of the river.

Going unnoticed, Akari blinked hearing the mention of differently colored Silkoon, a strange look tugging at her face as she seemed to struggle to remember something.

Y/n: Alternately colored cocoons? That's... odd.

Laventon: Indeed, I was hoping you and Akari could look into this for me.

Standing at attention, you closed the book and gave the professor your most professionally serious nod with Meltan giving the tiny salute you taught it. Then few moments later Akari did the same, seemingly snapping out of her funk and looking far more awkward as she tried matching your straight backed posture and failing.

Y/n: You can count on us Professor!

Akari: Right, we'll watch all the wurmples. Wurmpi?  Have we settled on a plural for them yet?

Her question would go unanswered as everyone else in the tent shared a laugh and carried on, leaving Akari looking confused and unsatisfied.

Laventon: That's good to hear girls. I'll mark the colony's location on your map for when your ready to head out. If shouldn't be more than a short walk aways.

4 Hours of Walking Later

The soft wooded clearing you'd been guided towards was quiet as you and Akari finally set foot in your questing area. The lush densely packed trees provided a cool comforting shade underneath which your partner sourly dumped all her supply packs onto the ground in an exhausted huff.

Akari: Dear lord that was so much more than an hour

Coming up behind here and looking completely fine, you rolled your eyes and gently laid your bags down beside hers where Meltan couldn't get to them. Speaking of whom, your favorite steel type  was quick to hop from your arms to start looking around, it's hexnut head turning and gazing up curiously at all the new sights and sounds it found itself experiencing out this deep into the fieldlands. Privately you smiled knowing this was by far the furthest you'd been from the village since arriving in Hisui, that fact filling your breast with pride as you turned to give Akari a comforting grin.

Y/n: Why don't we take a break here for a bit?

The bluenette shot you a dubious yet hopeful look.

Akari: You sure?

Y/n: Yeah, it'll give us a chance to catch our breath before we get started on the Professor's assignment.

Akari: Oh thank goodness.

Sitting down, the bluenette smiled and leaned back to rest her body against the trunk of a particularly shady tree. You couldn't help but watch the way her chest rose and fell in soft tired pants. Sitting down next to her, you fixed your partner a teasing smirk.

Y/n: Your not used to walking around this much are you?

You watched her sputter incoherently as her face flushed pink in embarrassment. It was an adorable sight, and your giggling relaxed the other girl enough to shyly look your way even as her blush deepened several hues.

Y/n: Sorry that probably sounded mean

Akari: No, no, your good. I mean it's not like your wrong. Back home the longest Id ever have to walk would be the grocers on the other side of town.