Chapter 5

Weighed down on the way down
I need someone to take my hand
It feels like I can't breathe
And I might drown on the way down
I'm sick of all the come downs
Don't tell me that there's nothing wrong
I'm weighed down, weighed down
The Weigh Down ~ The Amity Affliction

I swiped at my face, trying to rub away the tears before anybody saw. Rosie put her arm around me, rubbing my arm gently.
"Are you okay?" She asked.
I shook my head, no I wasn't. "So emotional." I cried.
She nodded and looked back at Matt.
He was standing there, centre stage, singing and the emotion in his voice was breaking my heart, I was sure I wasn't the only one crying, I imagined that people in the audience were crying too.
"And some say this can't be real, And I've lost my power to feel tonight, We've all been victims of a crime, When all is gone and can't be regained, We can't seem to shelter the pain inside, We've all been victims of a crime, Victims of a crime, Living with this crime."
I wiped my face again, this was horrible.
"I'm missing you, I'm missing you, I'm missing you, I'm missing you."
I watched as he stepped away from the microphone and people started cheering and applauding and I could do none of that, I was hurting, for Matt, it had been so raw and so full of emotion.
"Oh god." I sniffled, wiping my face again.
"Come here angel." Rosie said, grabbing my hand and dragging me off to the restroom.
"Oh Peyton." She said hugging me.
"Oh god how embarrassing." I groaned. "Blubbering in front of everybody."
"Don't be embarrassed, it's perfectly understandable." She said patting my back.
"Poor Matt." I cried.
"Yes, that poor man." She whispered. "Such a sweet guy."
I pulled away, looking at her, sweet wasn't a word I'd use to describe Matt.
"Sweet?"
"God yes, Matthew's a big pussycat Peyton." She told me. "A really nice guy."
"I guess I don't know him well enough."
"I guess not. He's had a rough few years, it's made him a little harder, but one day I hope he meets someone again, I'd like to see his smile again Peyton." She said. "He has dimples to die for."
I nodded, I guessed maybe one day he would smile again.
"Well I hope so." I said, turning towards the door. "Because I cannot deal with that kind of emotion again."
Rosie laughed as we opened the door, heading back towards the others.
I looked at the stage, they were performing their last song of the evening 'A Little Piece Of Heaven' and the crowd was loving it, actually as I watched them I realised that I was loving it.
I applauded, along with everyone else as they finished up and left the stage.
Everybody was congratulating them and Blake was looking like a proud father.
"It was great, so great." He was gushing.
"Was it?" Brian asked, turning to me.
I nodded smiling. "It was great."
"We've still got it." He laughed.
"So you enjoyed it?" Matt asked, suddenly appearing in front of me.
"I did." I told him, smiling.
"I'm glad." He said turning away and walking off.
I watched him, still unsure what to make of him.
"And now." Blake announced. "It's time to party." He walked over to Rosie and I, draping an arm across our shoulders. "And I have the best looking dates."
I pulled a face at him and Rosie laughed.
"See you all there." Blake announced, guiding us out.
"Peyton." Brian called. "See you there."
I waved and nodded before heading outside.
"I think someone might like you." Blake said, unlocking the car.
"Um isn't he married?"
"Separated." Him and Rosie said at the same time.
"Don't go getting ideas, it'll never happen."
"Oh Peyton, you never know." Rosie said.
Oh I did know. I never dated people I worked with and I dunno, but I just wasn't attracted to Brian in anyway.
Rosie was looking at me like I was crazy, so I hadn't had a boyfriend for awhile and honestly I didn't see myself having one anytime soon.
I just wasn't interested.