Chapter 12

I walk the fields through the fire
Taking steps until I found solid ground
Followed dreams reaching higher
Couldn't survive the fall
Buried Alive ~ Avenged Sevenfold

"He's a really nice guy." My brother Phillip said.
I turned my head and looked at him. It was Sunday, Phillip and the two boys had been here since Friday and today Matt had invited us all over to his place so the boys could play in his pool.
"He is."
"How long have you two, you know?"
"Oh wait." I said. "Phil we're not together."
"You're not?"
"No strictly friends." I told him.
"Oh sorry, I just assumed."
"No it's okay, we're just friends." I explained.
"You sure?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.
"Very sure. His wife died a little over a year ago." I told him quietly. "We met through Blake and became friends."
"Damn, that's horrible."
I nodded looking over at Matt. He was currently playing Marco Polo in the pool with the boys. Today he looked happy but sometimes I saw the look of sadness pass over his face, maybe for the children him and Tiffany would never have.
"It is horrible." I said picking up my phone.
I layed there flicking through my Facebook and Twitter, not taking much interest in anything on there.
"Drink?" Matt asked, standing there dripping.
"I'll get it." Phil said jumping up.
Matt grabbed a towel, sitting down. "So full of energy." He said looking at the boys who were still jumping in and out of the pool.
I looked up from my phone nodding. "That they are."
Matt was looking at me.
"Do you have Facebook or Twitter?" I asked.
His face immediately darkened. "No."
"Oh, they amuse me."
"They're vile and they intrude on people's personal lives, spreading vicious rumors and posting pictures out of context."
I put my phone down quickly. Matt made it clearly obvious that he didn't approve of social media.
"It hurts people Peyton." He said quietly.
I nodded and wondered what might have happened to cause his reaction.
"It ruined Brian's marriage." He suddenly said.
"Oh."
"Pictures of Brian and another woman appeared on social media, completely misleading but the damage was done."
"Sorry."
"If you look you can find pictures of Tiffanys accident." He said through stiff lips.
"Oh Matt, honestly I'm sorry." Now I felt like an ass, I had no idea.
"It's okay, just please don't put anything about me on your social media." He said.
Okay, that hurt. What kind of person did he think I was?
"Oh no." I said standing up. "I wouldn't do that." I grabbed my phone. "Um I forgot I told Rosie I'd go see her, I'll pick the boys up later."
I walked towards the door leading to the house.
"Where you going?" Phil asked, as I passed him.
"Rosie's."
"Peyton." Matt called, but I ignored him.
What kind of an asshole did he think I was? Yeah I was going to tweet every damn thing he did. Egotistical piece of shit.
I went through the house grabbing my shirt and getting in my car, as I drove I dialed Rosie.
"Peyton." She answered.
"I'm coming over."
"You okay?"
"Nope, but I don't want to talk about it." I told her.
"That's fine, come over and laugh at Blake with me, he's attempting to put a cradle together."
I agreed smiling and hanging up, but Matt crossed my mind again. My smile turned back into a scowl.
Asshole.