are we out of the woods yet?

I slowly pulled back the curtains and peaked my head in the window to see...

Walker?

He was standing in my yard with a handful of rocks looking up at me.

You've gotta be kidding me.

I unlocked my window and lifted it up.

"hi." Walker said, looking up at me.

"what the heck are you doing here?! it's 11 o clock!" I hissed at him, keeping my voice down to not wake up my parents.

"I told you, I need to talk to you."

I scoffed. "Yeah well that doesn't mean I want to talk to you." I said, crossing my arms.

"Please Jules. Just come down here." That nickname still gave me goosebumps. He was the only one who called me that.

He studied my expression. I stood there thinking about it.

"Hmmm...nope!" I said starting to turn away.

"Wait! If you don't come down here....I'll throw these rocks at your parents window." He said with a smirk on his face.

"You know my dad would literally kill you, right?" I asked him.

"Yeah but at least he'd make you talk to me before he'd kill me." He said with a shrug.

I stood there for a second debating. Ugh he was totally right. That would be even worse because my parents would demand to know what we talked about. My parents knew we had a disagreement, but not what it was about and they never pushed me to talk about it.

"...fine. ill be down in a second." I said.

I saw Walker grin before I closed the window.

I looked like a total mess so I tried to quickly fix that. I took my hair out of my braid so it was wavy and slid some shoes on before slipping out the back door.

I spotted Walker sitting down on the steps of the deck. I slowly walked over and sat down next to him.

"so..." I started, trying to fill the silence.

"what did you want to tell me..?"

Walker sighed. "I just wanted to apologize. It wasn't fair for me to ignore you the last couple of years."

I rolled my eyes and started clapping.

All my hurt and anger that had been repressed the past few years started bubbling up. That's all he could come up with?

"Wow good job Walker, you're so smart for figuring that out!" I said sarcastically.

Walker looked taken aback but I couldn't stop.

"It's been two years Walker. TWO YEARS. You used to be my best friend until Leah came along and decided she didn't like me. The worst part isn't even that she didn't like me, it's the fact that you didn't even try to stick up for me! You just left me in the dust and didn't look back!" The words just kept falling out of my mouth.

"Look Jules im really sorry I-" I cut him off.

"No Walker, you're not sorry. Actions speak louder than words. If you were really sorry, you wouldn't have waited this long to apologize. So you can go back to your little girlfriend and leave me alo-"

"She's not my girlfriend." Walker cut me off.

"What?" I asked him, a little taken aback.

"I broke up with her." Walker said, looking forward.

"What do you mean? I thought Leena said you guys were still da-"

"I broke up with her tonight." Walker cleared his throat.

"After dinner." He now looked down and started fidgeting with his hands.

"Oh..." I said awkwardly, not quite sure what to say.

"Look, I know I've really messed up. Like a lot. It wasn't fair for me to prioritize Leah over you and I'm sorry it took me so long to realize. But I want to fix this. I miss being your friend and I'll spend everyday trying to prove that to you again if I have to." Walker said, filling the silence.

"...okay." I said after a few moments, still unsure of what was happening.

After a few more moments of silence, Walker got up quietly and left.

I sat outside for a bit thinking before I went back to my room. I laid down in my bed.

'What the heck just happened?' I thought before drifting off to sleep.