🩸Chasing the Dark (pt.64)🩸

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Marine," I answered with a mumble.

We both pulled back.

"You're a young parent, I see?"
"Well..."

It wasn't really a normal, polite thing to say to someone, but I wasn't fully sure, and I got it all the time.

"Yes, I guess so."

Theo squeezed my hand. At least he was there to help me. Kind of.

There was something about Katrina that just didn't sit right with me.

"What's your name, sweetie?" She looked at them.

I could see Theo blush, clearly embarrassed and not expecting the attention. In the nicest way possible, they were probably more socially awkward than me. The work of genetics.

"Th...Theodore, I'm fourteen."

"Well, you're young and spry, why aren't you out there with the rest of them?" she asked him.

Nosy much?

He looked nervous, a stroke of panic across his face.
I could tell he wanted me to save him.

"He's not much of an outdoorsy person..." I said. It was the excuse we had been using for years. Still, he always got worried. I assumed he was especially nervous when she was communicating so directly with him. "You know how...kids are these days."

"I see..."

The hesitance I'd spoken had fucked it.

"And it's hot," he smiled. I hoped I was the only one who could see how worried he was.

I gently squeezed his hand, signaling him to stop talking. He turned back to me and his face dropped back to neutral.

If only Cleo would get done with her damn email.

I gave Katrina the parent eye roll that I was sure my parents had probably used with me when I was a teenager.

"And your husband?" she asked.
I sighed, "In the comfort of the AC."

It wasn't even that hot outside.

After so long, I got tired of explaining I was queer to everybody. Especially people like Katrina, who I would most likely never see again.

I could practically hear Theo glare at the ground. I think he got more upset about it than I did. He'd always dealt with the same types of questions at school.

"Mom," Melanie ran over to me.
"Yeah?"

"Can I go home? I-I don't feel well."

"Are you okay, lovely?" I asked, standing up and feeling her forehead.
She wasn't running hot.

"Can I just go home?"

"If you really need to..." I said, worry spread across my face.

"Will you come with me?"
"Lovely, if you need Advil or something you know where it is."

She huffed. "Please."
"You'll be fine, Mel."

"Please!" she cried.

She seemed distressed. I wasn't quite sure of what to do.

I glanced back over at Katrina.

She turned to hand her son, Gabriel, a sandwich, and I could see something gleaming on her belt. It had been previously covered by the lightweight flannel she was wearing.

I squinted, taking a closer look.

It was definitely a blade.

I tried to not let my mind immediately go to the worst scenario possible. She appeared to be a young woman, too. She was probably keeping it for safety. Maybe she was a police officer or something.