xix | reckless

key:

ishita / jai

i'll not be coming in today

 why

Ishita's mother, Latha, was the coolest 50 year old amongst the airport crowd

Ishita's mother, Latha, was the coolest 50 year old amongst the airport crowd. With her hair streaked pink and blue and her shoulder-length curls, the way she pushed the mini trolley nonchalantly while her husband followed with a cart full of their luggage was so iconic. Ishita couldn't stop grinning.

"Wow wow Latha, did you find a time machine on your trip by any chance? You look no more than thirty," Ishita cooed, bringing her mother into a hug.

"Really? Is that why the middle-aged man on the flight hit on me?" she joked, laughing to herself.

"That's because you are too beautiful for your own good," Ishita's father joined the duo, grumbling. "Your mother wouldn't tell the man she is married, do you know?"

"I didn't have to tell. You had your arm around me like someone might steal me while you dozed off," Latha shot back.

Ishita watched them banter and threw her arms around them. "I missed you guys," she said.

"Hard to say the same, Ishi," Latha said, earning a mock sniffle from her daughter.

Prem kissed his daughter's forehead. "You never join us."

"I want you to enjoy when you can, Daddy. If you wait for me to be free, I'll be holding you back."

"Ishi, did something happen? Did you cry last night? Why are your eyes puffy?" Latha asked.

Ishita laughed, shaking her head quickly. "What, Latha, I was just praising your youth. Now you seem to be having eyesight problems."

Latha's forehead creased. "Whatever it is, I know when something is wrong. I am your mother, Ishi. Are you going to tell me on your own or should I emotionally blackmail it out of you?"

Ishita sighed. She hated that her parents had to arrive just when she was facing some turbulence in her life. And the worst part was that it was about a man. She never discussed men with her parents. The last time she did was in eighth grade when she had a crush on a Marathi boy and that did not end like she wanted.