eleven-"Heated Kiss"

THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKE;
CROWS

Chapter 11

"Heated kiss"

——The first thing Zephyr saw when he opened his eyes was the bright light

——The first thing Zephyr saw when he opened his eyes was the bright light. His heart rate had spiked up once he realized it and sat up immediately. He always believed that you'll see a light at the end when you're near death, along with memories flashing behind your eyelids. His body ached but signs of numbness managed to discard it as well as the pain on his chest covered with stitches and wrapped with a gauze.

What happened next was a blur to him. He could only remember the dean coming in with a doctor in tow, the two discussing his condition before the man looked up at him and immediately announced to discharge him. Then peacekeepers had come in and grasped his arm once the doctor made sure he was stable enough to be sent to the train.

"Wait–" He'd remembered saying. "I need to see her—! I need to see Arson!" His head kept turning back to the doctor before the doors finally swung close.

"The President had forbidden any visitor's request to see Miss Arson." One of the peacekeepers informed him as they continued to lead him out.

"But I need to say goodbye!"

After that, no words were exchanged. Yet he couldn't help but stare at the President's mansion, hoping to know that he was deeply sorry for his sudden departure. He'd truly believed they would let him see her one last time— if it meant that they were not able to leave together. But Zephyr knew better to believe the words of the Capitol people.

Except for Arson.

She was an exception.

Because he knew that her birthplace may be in the Capitol but her heart was with the districts. Her sacrifice to him was not much, but it was enough to last long in his memory where it'll be surrounded by his other memories that he'd grown to cherish.

They both knew the consequences when they had opened up their hearts to each other. Allowing a connection— a bond, to form between them.

When the train had arrived at district 1, Zephyr couldn't find himself to step off. Instead he had written a letter to both Minnie and Jolene that he would be traveling to some districts with Lucy Gray and her covey in district 12. He wanted to fulfill one of his hobbies which was to perform in order to distract himself from the pain and yearning for his former mentor.

Once Lucy Gray had introduced him to her family, Zephyr immediately took a liking to them. He became a part of their covey and they would sing together in front of the fire by the lake. He'd felt free as he was embraced by the sound of music, though every time he sang, Zephyr found himself staring at the night sky, stars scattered all over the place and there were some constellations.