1.8-SKYFALL

A/N whatever happens in this chapter, happens for a reason. Don't be angry for what's about to happen... please.

CATCHING FIRE
"THE GAME"

1.8

"SKYFALL."

—— IRENE WAS HELPING BEETE WITH his coil, when the lightning struck, interrupting their conversation about the arena — she already had an idea on how everything was laid out

—— IRENE WAS HELPING BEETE WITH his coil, when the lightning struck, interrupting their conversation about the arena — she already had an idea on how everything was laid out. Moments later, the woman saw Katniss walking up to them with a smile on her face.

It somehow reminded her of the times whenever she got an answer right.

"It's a clock!" Katniss exclaimed. She then noticed the small smirk Irene had on her face, and internally facepalmed. "You knew, didn't you." The archer grumbled.

"Minutes ahead of you, but kudos to you for actually being able to figure it out." Irene praised her.

They headed towards the centre of the arena. Finnick's fingers intertwined with Irene's as the latter continuously looked up and around.

"The entire arena seems to be laid out like a clock, with a new threat every hour, but they stay only within their wedge." Katniss explained. "It all starts with the lightning, then the blood rain, fog and the monkeys. At 10, the big wave hits from over there." 

Irene placed her pouch on the ground, not thinking she would actually need it except keeping some of the bombs on her belt, and joined Katniss' side. "The lightning hit the big tree at twelve, like a conductor, otherwise the lightning will go all over the place."

"Good." Beetee breathed out.

They all then circled around to lay out the rest of the sectors, and every now and then, they would look at Irene to see if they were on track in which she nodded her head most of the time. "What about the others, did you guys manage to see anything?" Katniss questioned them.

"11-12, deadly insects. Zane and I managed to escape them at the very last minute." Irene added, as Peeta added to the layout. "Well as long as we manage to stay clear of whichever sector is active, we'll be safe."

"Yeah, relatively speaking." Finnick said next to Irene.

A gasp tore the group's attention away from the map, to see Gloss with his arm around Wiress and a dagger in his hand as he slit her throat.

"Gloss! No!" Irene shouted for him, though before the man could escape, Katniss shot an arrow to his temple, the second cannon went off. The woman was about to run up to him, only to be held back by Finnick with his arm around her midsection.

"Finnick– Let go!"

From her peripheral view, she saw Brutus and Enobaria coming out of their hideout. Upon seeing her struggling in Finnick's grip, Brutus threw his spear toward his direction, but Finnick moved the both of them away quickly to avoid it. Irene managed to slip out of his hold and ran out, the same time Enobaria threw her knife at them, but she deflected it with her own knife.