Chap. Three: The Calm After the Storm

Mirage POV

    A tempest condensed into two crystals, its ferocious winds just barely held back by the constraints of his irises. That was the impression given to me as a young man stood framed by the gentle starlight, the calm of the vast ocean encompassing the air about him. A small glass of water sat upon the palm of his hand, catching stray beams of dancing fae lights that gently caressed the curve of his bottom lip and teasingly tickled the contour of his sharp jawline.

    The silence that settled down between the two of us suffocated the air like the absurdly fluffy blanket March had dumped on me, yet, like the blanket, was strangely comfortable. Sensual, even. That distance between us that seems too short yet too far... the silence that kept us from falling any deeper into this new page of fate... the delicate barrier that threatened to shatter with a single move might have been the only hope of preventing my fall.

    Yet it still shattered.

    "It was to my knowledge that we brought back a child," he finally uttered, a low rasp barely above a whisper. Within my ears, it was as world-shaking as a dragon's roar, yet as delicate as ghostly fingers tracing an invisible trail down my spine. "Who are you?"

    I contemplated his question, ultimately finding no harm in answering. Since the majority of the Astral Express crew knew who I was to an extent, withholding information would just breed unnecessary hostility between us. I held up a finger, then scuttled over the cold marble back to the couch I was on before. Picking up the phone from the neatly folded blanket, I scuttled back over the floor to the pair of chairs near the window where I was standing and settled down on one. I lifted my feet, tucking them to the side to make myself comfortable as I tapped the small device awake. Glancing up towards the confused young man, I gestured with a finger for him to take a seat in the chair beside me. After a slight hesitance, he made his way towards me as my fingers danced across the screen, opening the chat application. They momentarily stalled when I realized that I didn't know who the man's name was, but a certain handy tool known as the process of elimination saved the day. Of the five names programmed into my contacts list, I knew Himeko, March, and Mr. Yang. I seriously doubted that someone as... serious as he was would have a name as cute as "Pom Pom", thus the last contact left; "Dan Heng".

Dan Heng
For anything related to the data bank, come to me.
_______________________________________

    User 614647058

[Do I have the correct number?]

    Dan Heng's pocket let out a muffled ring of a large brass bell, a sound I have only heard in certain musical tracks imported from the Xianzhou Alliance, answering the question for me. He withdrew his phone with a questioning quirk of an eyebrow, then read the notification with a quick flick of his gaze. Instead of verbally answering, as I was expecting, he began to type out an answer.

Dan Heng

[Yes.]

    The corners of my mouth twitched at his curt answer.

User 614647058

[I apologize for the confusion.]

[I seem to have lost the ability to speak,
thus my odd choice of communication.]

Dang Heng

[My condolences. I hope for your
speedy recovery.]

User 614647058

[Thank you.]

[Oh, and to answer your earlier question.]