04

Mort.

Stop trying to fix someone who doesn't want to be fixed.

Early in the morning, nasa bahay na agad ako ni Enola. She's currently cooking breakfast. Walang pasok since it's Saturday so it's not really that early, mga alas syete naman na ng umaga.

"Can you please wash the dishes Mort? Ihahanda ko pa kase itong pagkain" She said while transfering the food to a clean plate. "Kunti lang naman yan"

I nodded and obeyed her. May sabon na ako sa kamay when she surprised me nang abutin niya yung mangkok na nakalagag sa kabinet sa ibabaw ng ulo ko.

"Stop doing that" mahinang saad ko.

"Kinikilig ka? Hina mo naman pala" natatawang saad niya at lumayo na sakin.

"Tsk"

When I'm done washing the dishes, Monica, one of the twins came down wearing her eyeglasses with messy hair. Tumabi ito ng upo sakin sa mesa at nagsimula nang kumain.

"Kuya paabot nung sandok po" saad nito na agad kong sinunod.

"Tie your hair first Nica. You look like a mess" saad ko at tumawa. Sumimangot lang ito at bumalik sa kwarto.

Bumalik na ng upo si Enola galing kusina bitbit ang tinimpla niyang kape. There are four mugs. One mug for each of us.

When everyone is already settled, including Danica, we then started eating.

"Yang kwintas na suot mo Dan, galing din ba kay mama?" Enola suddenly interrupted the quite breakfast.

"Ano po..." Danica dropped the utensils she's holding and looked at her ate with soft eyes. "Sorry ate. Pero kase, hindi ko po matanggihan"

Ngumunguyang tumango si Enola. "Malaki ka naman na. Wag niyo lang dalhin dito sa pamamahay natin, ayos nako"

After eating, I just waited Enola at the sala. I'm going to drive her to the café she's working on. It's weekend but she still need to go to work.

I was browsing on my phone when Monica suddenly went near me. "Kuya..."

I looked at her, smiling. "Hmm...you need something?"

She bit her lower lip. "Mamaya po kase, aalis kami ni Danica kasama si mama. Mamasyal lang po. Pwede po bang wag niyo nalang sabihin kay ate? Nagpaalam naman na po ako sa iyo"

Bumuntong hininga ako at maliit na ngumiti. "Okay sure. Just make sure you'll go home straight"

"Thank you kuya"

An hour after, Enola went out of her room fully dressed and ready to go. Agad akong tumayo at kinuha sa kanya yung bag niya at naunang lumabas ng bahay nila. She's talking with the twins so I'm just going to wait for her on the car.

I drove to the café briefly. I went out of the car with Enola, but I'm bringing my things since I'm planning to study today here. She just went to the cashier while I went to my usual table.

"Hindi yan yung order ko miss! Hindi ko babayaran yan!"

I was sketching for a plates I need to cram when a shout suddenly interrupted the quite café. Agad akong napalingon sa may unahan ko at nakita ang isang babae na sinisigawan si Enola.

"Maam please calm down po. Iyan ho yung sinabi niyong order niyo kanina. You need to pay for this po" I heard her calmly answer the lady.

"I don't want that anymore! Hindi kaba nakakaintindi miss! And you don't have the right to talk back at me! You're just a mere employee!"

The other customers started murmuring about the scandalous lady. My forehead creased immediately when I saw how the hot latté poured on Enolas uniform.

I immediately stand from my sit and was about to get near them when Enola suddenly laughed. She got the water on the other table and poured it on the lady. A smile then, formed on my lips.

"Hindi ko po alam kung gaano ka kitid yang utak na meron kayo. You don't have the right to this to me dahil hindi kayo ang nagpapasweldo sakin. Wala ka namang ambag sa tanginang buhay ko maam. You can leave the café now po, since you're interrupting the other customers" she smiled at the lady. "Please don't come back here maam"

I smiled when I saw the lady walked out of the café. Enola looked at my side and smiled at me, feeling proud. I just chuckled and gave her a thumbs up.

After the commotion, Enola's manager asked for an apology to all the customers that were interrupted. Bumalik nalang rin ako sa ginagawa.

I am half way of finishing my plates after almost three hours now when Enola sat at the empty chair beside me.

"gusto mo?" Alok niya sakin ng kinakain niyang croissant. I had a bite of it and went back to my plates. "Laki naman ng kinain mo"

"Get the ointment from my bag. Nasa black pouch" saad ko habang tinatanggal ang tape ng plates ko. "You got it?"

She handed me the ointment for burns. I held her arm and applied the ointment on her red elbow. "thank you"

After Enola's shift, it past ten in the evening already. I finished two of my plates and even had a review for a quiz on monday.

I let her sleep while we're on our way to go home. She's hugging the plushie again and leaning on the car window. I slowed down my pace a bit so she will have a longer nap, even just a bit.

When I stopped in front of their house, she also opened her eyes. She untie her hair and threw the stitch plushie at the back of the car.

"You want dinner? Magluluto ako" alok niya.

I declined her offer. "I'll attend a family dinner with my grandma"

Tumango siya at ngumiti sa akin. "Drive safely. Thank you for today"

I nodded at her and smiled. "Rest tomorrow kay? I won't bother you don't worry"

She chuckled and started unbuckling her seatbelt. She opened the car door and went out. "Do you want to wait?"

I looked at her confused at what she said. "Wait for what?"

She shrugged. "Wait for me. Matatagalan ngalang"

A smile appeared on my lips. "So... I have a chance?"

Nag-iwas siya ng tingin. "I wanted to try"

"With me?"

She stared straightly into me. "with you, and if you can't anymore, I'm sorry

🍊