Chapter 5: My New Partner

"K-King Solomon, S-Rank..."

The moment those words left my mouth, the entire cafeteria went so quiet I swear you could actually hear a pin drop.

Nobody said anything, not even the teacher who asked me what my Arcana was. Then silently getting up, Principal Kato walked over to me and held out her hand with a stern, no nonsense look on her face; as if to say I would permanently be on her bad side if this was some kind of  stupid prank I was pulling.

Thankfully it wasn't, and I handed over my Adventurer Card with no hesitation.

"C-confirmed. King Solomon, S-Rank." the Principal repeated after a moment, though the surprise in her voice was palpable.

"YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" One of the students yelled as cheers all erupted across the cafeteria. Two S-Ranks in the same year wasn't entirely unheard off, but it was so rare that it had been decades since the last time it had happened.

"You think anyone else will get an S-Rank?!" another student asked loudly.

"There's no way!

"Congratulations." the Principal whispered to me with a genuine smile, and she politely gestured to the exit that Eric and Lily had gone through.

After I left the cafeteria, I was met by a volunteer helper who guided me to the school's private parking lot. 

And let me tell you something, Legacy High definitely earned it's reputation as being one of the best Adventurer schools in the world because the school had apparently rented out an entire taxi company to take each enrolled student home free of charge.

In basically no time at all I was back in my apartment, lying in bed. It had been about an hour since the Awakening Ceremony, but I still felt kinda off. A big part of me just wanted to take a nap, but I knew couldn't do that.

After today, I only had two more days off until the physical exam. The teachers obviously weren't expecting new students to become battle-hardened warriors in just days, but from what I read in the story, they would make us fight against robotic replicas of known monsters. 

And naturally since Eric was the hero of this little story, there was of course going to be an unexpected boss battle to deal with during the exam.

The perks of being friends with the protagonist...

Still, it wouldn't have sat right with me to abandon Eric just because things might get a little difficult. So ignoring how the room started spinning as I got up, I stumbled my way over the fridge, chugged one of the energy drinks I had, and got to work.

Everyone unlocks their Tier 1 ability just by going through the Awakening process, and Tier 1 was always the ability to manipulate an element; like Fire, Ice, Water, Lightning, etc. Taking a look at my Adventurer Card, I saw that my element was Holy; which was both kind-of good and  kind-of bad...

See Holy is the one rarest elements a person can get, and it gives the wielder access to healing like abilities. 

So while it was great that I wouldn't have to rely on other people incase I got injured, the downside was that Holy was more of a support oriented element. I could heal myself or others people sure, but I wouldn't be able to use it offensive like how Bianca used her Ice element to fight that lessor dragon a month ago.

Which meant I really needed a good weapon since it would likely be the only way I could dish-out damage.

Ever since the Awakening Ceremony there has been this strange new feeling inside me, and by focusing on it, I could summon my Arcana.