3

There are a few things in this chapter that may not make sense. I'll try to explain everything in the end-of-the-chapter author note. I'll identify the things I want to clarify with an asterisk*.

Anastasia waited until everyone was fast asleep before sneaking out of the cabin. She went back to the small glade where Annabeth had taught her how to wield a sword. Under the moonlight, she practiced the moves she had learned the same morning.

She imagined the dummy was a monster and would pretend he was fighting back. She'd duck or roll on the ground to avoid imaginary hits. 

"When you roll, don't hold your sword that way, you'll cut yourself."

Startled, she turned around. Luke was standing in front of her with his arms crossed, a small smile dancing on his lips.

"How should I hold it?"

"When you roll, the blade should be parallel and flat to the ground, keep your wrist flexible. Look, I'll show you."

He demonstrated what he meant with another sword. She copied his movement a few times until she got the hang of it.

"What are you doing up anyway?" She asked him.

"I like to walk in the woods at night. It helps me sleep afterward. I saw you sneaking out and wanted to know what you were up to." He shrugged. "You?"

"My friend died because I wasn't good enough. I'm making sure it doesn't happen again."

"You shouldn't think that way, but I understand what you're going through."

"I know, Annabeth told me."

"She told you about Thalia?" He seemed surprised.

"She didn't tell me her name, but she told me how you were on the run and how you got to camp running away from Furies."

"Thalia was Zeus' daughter. Children of the Big Three are more likely to get attacked by monsters. They're in more danger because they're more powerful than the other demigods. At the last moment, he intervened to save her life. He turned her into a pine tree. It serves as a magical barrier, making it impossible for monsters to get in." He looked at her. "I'll show you a few tricks if we spar after. Annabeth told me you're not too bad."

She smiled. "Sure."

Like he promised, he showed her a few moves. They put away their swords and were now standing in defensive stances, assessing the other, trying to see who would attack first. He did, throwing a punch her way. She ducked and tried to punch his stomach but he blocked her. She tried to throw another punch his way but he grabbed her arm and pulled her forward. She turned as she fell, falling on her back and flipping him over her with her legs. They both stood back up and started walking in a circle again. This time, she attacked. She faked a blow to his shoulder and with her leg, she swiped his ankles, making him fall on his back. She held him down by his shoulders but he was able to throw her off. Before she had the chance to get back up, he was pinning her down.

"Looks like I won."

"But did you?"

She freed her arm and pushed him off. He tried to get back up but she pushed him back with one hand. He tried to punch her but she blocked it and pinned his arm to the ground. She held him down in a judo-like hold. He tried to get out but was unable to.

He started laughing and she let him go.

"Yeah, you're not that bad.

She got up with a smile and held her hand out, helping him up. "Not bad? I destroyed you."