7

My appetite is gone by the time I'm done. I stumble out of the bathroom like a drunk man, swaying on my feet and holding onto the walls for support. Adam is at the bar, chatting animatedly with the waitress, who's twirling her hair and laughing brightly at the absolutely hilarious things my sister must be saying.

    "Adam," I say, leaning heavily on the bar next to her, using one hand to tug on the back of my hoodie to fully cover the hole over my ass. "Take me home. Now. Let's go."

    She glances at me like I'm an annoying insect that just landed on her. It boils my blood, but I grit my teeth, swallowing my anger down like acidic bile.

    "Who's this?" the waitress asks, smiling at me, her eyes shining with...something. Is that...pity in her eyes?

    "Oh!" Adam says. "This is..." she lowers her voice, leaning in. The waitress leans in too, hands moving closer to Adam's. "...some homeless guy I saw on the side of the road. We're doing a trade. He's going to shine my shoes later in exchange for the meal he got."

    My fingernails bite into my palms with how hard I'm clenching them, but I look away, saying nothing. Asshole...dipshit...evil two-faced pile of rotting MAGGOTS-

    "That's so kind of you," the waitress whispers, then turns to me and asks, "Did you enjoy the food, sir?"

    I stare at the wall, ignoring her. "Take...me...home."

"Don't mind him," Adam says lowly. "He's a little hard of hearing." She claps me on the shoulder and leans in to practically yell in my ear, "Hey, bud, are you done eating?"   

Despite the red-hot anger burning in my veins, I turn toward her calmly, ears ringing. She raises an eyebrow, a smug half-smirk making its way onto her face. I open my mouth, then close it, wincing. If I talk now, I might actually throw up. All over the place, with all these people as witnesses.

So, instead, I nod, playing along with her stupid game.

    "In that case," Adam turns back to the waitress with a smile. "Can I get a to-go box...and your number?"

    The waitress smiles brightly. "Absolutely you can."

    I blink at both of them in disbelief, then groan and slide into a seat at the bar as I wait, dropping my forehead down onto my folded arms. I'm acting like a kid, I know. And Adam's acting like a proper asshole.

    But right now, I don't have to do anything. I can relax and act like a brat, because my big stupid sister is here to do everything for me.