XXVIII. Bathroom Yurt Discussions

Start from the beginning

"Maybe we should keep our eyes open?" Sammy suggested.

"I want a 'you were right' from every single one of you motherfuckers when our situation goes to hell," she said, venom seeping into her voice.

~~~

Eva kicked her feet up on the corner of the table, and leaned back, closing her eyes. Darius was with Mitch at the other end of the table, Kenji was beside Eva devouring his fourth plate of food, and Brooklynn was sitting very grumpily across from her. Her arms were crossed and tension rested in the creases of her forehead. Yasmina was a dozen feet away, with her somewhat- injured foot propped up on an extra chair. Sammy, ironically, had her eyes closed, as Tiff gave her a back and shoulder massage.

"Amazing, right?" Tiff asked as Sammy moaned with pleasure. "I have a Reiki healer back home who showed me a few tricks. Miracle. Worker."

Eva turned her ears to Darius and Mitch, who were unfortunately talking about nothing important. They would make a few dinosaur jokes, then Mitch would show Darius pictures, and then they'd go back to the dinosaur jokes.

When Tiff finished with Sammy, Sammy turned around in her chair, collapsing in it the correct way, and began speaking with Yaz. Brooklynn and Kenji had snuck off a few minutes prior, and had yet to return. When Mitch beckoned Tiff and Darius into the jungle, Eva hastily stood up and followed after them.

She watched every step she took, stopping short of the trio a few feet away, hidden behind a tree. Crouching, she peered through the bushes, watching as Mitch motioned to a family of compies. Darius and Tiff squated behind them. Mitch raised his camera—

Okay, it's a family of compies. So what? They're the rats of the dinosaur world.

"Oh, so cute!" Tiff exclaimed as she pushed past him. "Come here, little guy!"

Yes, get her ass!

"No, stop!" Darius shouted.

Ugh, boo.

Tiff stood up rather quickly, but the family of five jumped on her, biting at any open skin. One compy pulled at the pink scarf around her neck. Another bit at her ankles. She let loose a scream, struggling and failing to rid herself of the mini dinosaurs.

Darius produced a wrapper-covered snack and shouted, "Hey, over here!" He chucked the wrapped snack over a fresh log. The compies squeaked and squealed, eagerly running after it.

Tiff screamed a final time as the compies disappeared into the undergrowth.

Mitch went to Tiff's side and quickly pulled her into a hug.

"That was too close. They look cute, but they actually have trace amounts—"

"Of venom in their bites," Mitch finished, looking down at Darius in awe. "Quick thinking, D."

D? Since when is it 'D'?

"How did you know that would work?"

"I've.. been keeping a log of their scavenging, and other dinosaur behaviors." Darius handed over his Field Guide. "I mean, it's not much."

Mitch and Tiff shared a look, to which Eva narrowed her eyes. Suspicious.

"This is incredible, Darius!"

Darius' face lit up with excitement. "And Yaz drew all the pictures. Pretty great, right?"

Ah, hell.

"We haven't seen even a tenth of the dinosaurs you have," Tiff amazed. Funny she'd say that, after the trio claimed they'd been on the island for two long weeks. "Maybe we've been looking in the wrong places."