The Zoo

Written: January 4, 2024
The ride to the zoo was full of energy. Okinawa eagerly looked out the window, North and South Korea were debating whether platypi are mammals or reptiles, Japan was speeding through the highway, effectively avoiding the Saturday morning traffic that would soon pile up.

The debate between the brothers about platypi escalated into a lively discussion about the unique features of these intriguing creatures.

"It's simple, they're mammals!" South asserted confidently, tapping on his phone to pull up information.

"But they lay eggs, like reptiles!" North countered, leaning forward in his seat.

Okinawa, completely engrossed in their conversation, chimed in from the backseat, "I think they're both! They have features of both mammals and reptiles!"

As their car zipped past the countryside, Japan navigated skillfully through the lanes, occasionally glancing at the rearview mirror to participate in the conversation. "They're actually mammals, but they lay eggs. It's quite unusual, but that's nature for you!"

The discussion continued, peppered with bursts of laughter and enthusiastic explanations about the peculiarities of platypi. Okinawa, ever the enthusiast, shared fascinating facts she'd learned about these unique creatures.

Before long, the zoo came into view, the excitement palpable in the car. Japan expertly maneuvered into a parking spot, and the siblings hopped out, eager to start their zoo adventure.

The air buzzed with anticipation as they entered the zoo grounds. Okinawa was practically skipping with joy, urging her brothers to lead the way towards the reptile exhibit. North and South, still debating about platypi, followed closely behind, exchanging playful jabs.

Japan paid for the tickets. The clerk smiled and looked down at Okinawa. "Children under ten years old go for free." He informed. Japan, ever the frugal person, internally celebrated, paying tickets for only herself and the twins.

The zoo was bustling with families, kids, and animal enthusiasts. Okinawa pulled her siblings towards the reptile section, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

As they approached the reptile exhibit, a myriad of snake species greeted them. Okinawa's face lit up, and she practically bounced with delight. She eagerly read the information boards aloud, sharing interesting details about each snake species.

North and South listened attentively, occasionally adding their own observations or asking questions. Japan, her phone in hand, took pictures of Okinawa as she excitedly explained snake facts to them, capturing the pure joy on her face.

From the elegant king cobras to the colorful pythons and the swift-moving black mambas, Okinawa was enraptured by each snake's unique traits and behavior.

The exhibit was warm and dark, the snakes and reptiles rested on branches, or in puddles of water. As they strolled through the exhibit, North and South also found themselves intrigued, admiring the diversity and beauty of these creatures. They engaged in a discussion about the importance of preserving habitats for these animals, discussing how vital it was to maintain the delicate balance of nature.

As they passed through, they went into a room full of snakes. There were wooden poles and ledges. The room was slithering with garden snakes. Okinawa eagerly ran up to one.

"It says here that these garden snakes are harmless and this is some sort of petting zoo." Japan read off a wooden sign. South Korea avoided the snakes, his spine crawling whenever he got close to one. North was admiring the different patterns of the snakes, while Japan's phone snapped more photos.