chapter¹²

not different

not different

a/n: remember to press the star and comment!!

warning: slight cringe

☄️ .❀。• *✧꒱ . ⏱𖤐₊ ♡ ᝰ ೃ࿔₊₊°。 ❀°☄️

authors pov

12:09 PM. SEABROOK

zed waves towards the girl with a sour green apple in his hand. everyone looks towards y/n and zed.

"i'll see you guys, yeah?" y/n says, getting up from her seat. addison waves y/n off as bree looks at her best friend.

y/n walks over to the zombies, her hands behind her back. she feels the stares of everyone, but she takes no notice.

"hey," she smiles. the zombies all look at the human, confused. what is she doing here? is she going to bully them? "as they say in old zombie tongue, gazar nady garzane garsick," eliza bites her tongue, holding in her laughter. "did i say right?"

"uh...no," zed winces. "you just thanked me for rubbing peanut butter on your umbrella," the zombies laugh quietly, snickers being up.

"oh. really?" y/n scrunches up her nose. "what i meant to say is welcome to the cafeteria,"

"thanks," eliza looks at zed. does he like this human? bonzo puts his covered hand out towards y/n, making her turn to him. he uncovers his hand, a rose made out of an apple in it.

"it's beautiful," y/n says as bonzo gives it to her. "i love it, thank you,"

"okay," eliza starts. "why is perky von cheerstick here? the point of having our own table is to avoid people like her,"

"i'm sorry. i just wanted to thank zed for rescuing me from the-" y/n starts but lacey and stacey grab her arms, making her drop the rose apple.

the two acey's push her backwards making her face the trio.

"you know you're talking to zombies, right?" tracey asks y/n.

"i'm fighting against intolerance," y/n says.

"oh. i fought mine by eliminating dairy," lacey says.

"uh..." y/n says, looking at her. "i mean zombie intolerance,"

"okay, look," lacey starts. "your cousin, the better one, i'm talking about bucky by the way, is not going to be happy with your paling around with zombies,"

"cheerleaders don't support freaks," stacey adds on as tracey snaps his fingers.

"right, bucky said there was something different about you," he says, looking intensely at y/n. "i can see that now," stacey looks up and down at y/n.

"what?" y/n says, fiddling with her wig. "i'm not different...no way..."

"your smile?" lacey asks, taking a step closer towards y/n. "is that an overbite?" y/n touches her lips, looking at the blonde girl.

"okay, okay," addison says, putting her hands on y/n's shoulders. she looks at the acey's with a fake smile on her face. "bye, bye now~"

y/n looks at addison a frown on her face before walking off.

"y/n..." addison says, trying to get the girl's attention.

zed looks at y/n walking away and takes the apple rose and his bag to follow her.

☄️

y/n stands in front of all the trophies that seabrook high has won in the past years. zed spots her and walks over to her.

"ah," he starts with a french accent. "ze perfect picnic spot," he outs his hand out and y/n takes the apple rose.

"i'm sorry," y/n starts, making zed tilt his head. "i wanted to sit next you guys at lunch. everyone is just so-"

"i get it," zed says, interrupting her. "someday maybe," y/n smiles as they both walk together.

"thank you for saving me at the pep rally," she says.

"are you kidding?" zed says. "it worked out for everyone. look at me. i'm going to be on the football team and if things go well, zombies will be more accepted. and we could, like, hang out in public,"

"that would be something," y/n smiles. they reach the top of the school steps. "this town. this school. it's very hard to not fit in,"

"well, how would you know?" zed asks y/n. "you're perfect," y/n looks at him, before internally cursing.

"this," she holds onto her fake hair. "it's a wig. my real hair is weird and a bright white colour and i can't do anything to change it,"

"can i see it?"

"no! i mean, no..." y/n sighs. "i've been covering my hair for a long time. my parents told me to. and they're right because now i'm on the cheer squad and i fit in,"

the two hear people talking so zed takes y/n's hand and they both run to the zombie safe room. zed opens the door like the gentlemen he is, letting y/n walk inside.

"this is where we first met," she says, remembering it. zed spins, throwing his bag on the floor.

"this is where we had our first punch," he puts his fists up, like he's going to punch y/n but he doesn't. he puts his hand out, y/n taking it and spinning.

they walk to the shelves, zed taking a book and covering his face with it. guess what time it is, time for a song.