The second day and the second night.

Start from the beginning

Your eyes widened at that. He was strong. Really strong for someone from twelve. You turned to Katniss who seemed smug at the display.

Your eyes went back to Cato who was staring in awe, along with a similar look from the other careers too. Cato suddenly nodded in approval, turning to Marvel and Glimmer saying something before walking away.

You leaned down dropping the equipment for the fire, wiping your hands, before going towards where the trident was kept. You needed to work on that for a bit.

As you grabbed it, you felt a presence behind you. "Spar with me." Catos voice called out, again in the same demanding tone from last night.

"Why would I? You'd knock me down in a minute." You ask annoyed, your grip tightening on the trident.

"Could be fun." He shrugged, a sword in hand as he made his way over to a makeshift, small arena surrounded in padding.

You sighed. Maybe it could be good practising against Cato. It might improve your odds even a little. You made your way over after him into the arena, going across so you were in front of him.

He seemed smug that he'd convinced you, cracking his neck from side to side. "Let's do this." His voice was rough. He was in attack mode.

You felt a shiver up your spine. It was intense the way he was looking at you. Not the way he had before, but this time you were feeling intimidated. You felt like prey.

Annie was wrong, he wasn't intimidating you before, this was him intimidating you. And you really didn't like it.

Your grip tightened immediately onto the trident, before sprinting at Cato. You swung as hard as you could, trying to slam it into him enough to knock him off balance.

instead he quickly stepped back raising his sword at a side was angle.

The loud sound of metal clashing turned a few heads as people watched you and Cato at odds.

"come on! push back harder or i'll knock you down." he snapped anger filling his body, shoving his sword harder, you felt yourself loose footing.

don't you dare fall.

you quickly found your step managing to move, so yours and Catos weapons weren't clashing.

Instead he seemed to get frustrated, sending out a leg, tripping you so you fell on your back. As you stared up at him, he then slammed his sword into the ground beside your head.

You let out a gasp, your eyes switching between the sword right beside your head, and Cato who was staring down at you.

As he turned on his heel, you did something you didn't expect, you grabbed your trident flipping it over in your hands, and slamming the handles in front of his feet. tripping him and putting him on the ground.

He turned to you staring for a long moment, his gaze had shifted into something else again. No longer predatory, but the same weighted look from when he had first seen you.

"Not bad fish girl." He spat out, rising to his feet, grabbing his sword. He walked out of the arena back towards Marvel and Clove who all began to whisper methodically.

God your back hurt. You needed a drink after that, you were exhausted, sweaty and thirsty.

———————————————————————

"Tomorrow you'll be bought out, selectively." Finnick stated through a mouthful of food. "To show your skills as such."

"It's based on rating." Annie spoke up as she cut through her food. "The Higher your rating is the more chance of a sponsor taking a liking to you."