Chapter Five - The old woman

Louella's P.O.V

"Is it...over?"

Before I said anything, we both heard static from the radio on the table. The static lasted for a few seconds until we heard a voice.

"Hello? If there are any survivors out there, come to my -" the feminine voice stated through the radio. "To Luiza's house near the fields." The radio ended, and both of us looked at each other.

"Survivors?" We said in unison, and then Ethan moved back the shelf that was blocking the door to the side. There was a hole probably from the hideous creature.

Ethan shook the door slightly, but it didn't open, so he pushed the door a bit harder, and it opened.

"What are you going to do with your fingers?" I pointed at his left hand, which was ripped off by the creature.

"I don't know... I'll leave it be and we can probably get some meds for it." We got out of the house and while we took another look, the horrendous soul was up on the roof looking at the both of us. We quickly got into the house and Ethan moved a shelf again to block the door.

We searched through the house and as for Ethan he got a shotgun and he pulled the bottom part of the shotgun to reload it.

We went to the other side of the house and there was a ladder that led down to the bottom of the house. Ethan let me go down first as he followed.

There was a chain and the creature was looking at us with a machete in his hand. There was an exit and Ethan went out first keeping his guard up and I was behind him in case they would attack us on our backs.

We ran for the other house and there were wooden boxes and Ethan broke every one of them. We got in the house and Ethan quickly moved the shelf to the door to block it again. There was a little gap in the wall beside the shelf and both of us shot the creatures that were trying to destroy the shelf to let themselves in but we didn't let them. Ethan and I shot the two in their head.

As I was paying attention to shooting them there was an orange-red flaming behind them. My eyes slightly widened as I realised this abandoned village might burn to ashes.

One creature was trying to break the door open and then I stopped shooting him and Ethan looked at me with his brow arched.

"I don't wanna waste my bullets." He nodded and continued to shoot the creature. After one more shot, the creature's head blew up.

After that more creatures started to surround the house and I groaned loudly.

We shot the creatures at every possible gap is there in this house. While Ethan was shooting them with a gap on the shelf, they broke the shelf leaving me to panic a bit. I quickly shook my head and tried to support myself to be more braver.

The creature had gone in and Ethan shot the creature and on our left side, two creatures had broken the window. Ethan focused on the other creature as I focused on mine.

After we killed the two we ran out of the house by jumping through the window.

What terrified me the most, while we were sprinting, was a bigger creature with an enormous axe. He looked bigger than the normal ones. The creature was swinging his axe around while we tried to ignore it and just run away but unfortunately, the red gate we tried to open to try to run away was locked.

Everything was locked, even the other gate with a crow feather on it. While I was shooting the creatures, I heard Ethan yell and made me look at him. His left thigh had an arrow and I looked around I saw no one that had any bow to shoot him, anything.

I crouched beside him and then the creature dragged him by his leg and threw him on the river, I quickly ran to him and crouched beside him again.

More creatures started to come to us, left and right they were everywhere some were even in horses and some were on the roof.

The creature growled close to our faces as I frowned.

"We're gonna die aren't we?" I said to him as we looked up on the roof and heard loud footsteps.

"Yeah, I guess we are," Ethan said back and all the creatures seemed to be looking up as well and praising the huge creature like they were his supreme being.

Then he jumped off the roof causing the smaller creatures to fall back. Then it took a few steps and roared.

He leaned closer to us and then the creature looked at his left. After that, he ran towards the direction he was facing as the others followed him. I was confused but grateful at the same time.

"I guess were are not going to die." I chuckled at myself and looked at Ethan. He pulled the arrow that was on his thigh and a squelching sound was heard as he pulled it out.

I made a disgusted face. He fully pulled out the arrow and threw the arrow aside.

He surprisingly had a bandage on him and he wrapped it around his left hand that was bitten off.

"How can you pull that arrow easily?" I looked at him weirdly.

He gave me a weird look as well and I helped him stand up.

"Man up, Louella." He rolled his eyes as I did too.

We went to the red gate we were supposed to go to earlier when it was locked.

And now it's open fully. We saw an old woman who was wearing fully black clothes with a stick. Ethan and I proceed towards her.

"In life and death. We live glory..." She said in a whiny tone.

We didn't know what she was talking about and Ethan spoke out.

"Uh, hello? You shouldn't be out here. It's not safe." He warned her and the old woman looked at us.

"What the hell? Hey, can you hear me?" Ethan almost sounded annoyed by being ignored.

"It's you, the child's father." I got confused for a second and I got who she was talking about. I pushed Ethan aside and looked at her.

"I'm sorry but can you tell us more about Rose? You know his daughter?" I pointed at Ethan as the old woman looked at me.

"Oh wow, how gorgeous looking you are." She smiled at me and I had a small smile since I wasn't the one who can't take compliments.

"Thank you but can you tell me about Rose?"

"Rose, Rose, yes!" I widened my eyes as Ethan went beside me.

"She is in great danger."

"What!?" I shouted and the two looked at me. "Sorry, continue," I mumbled.

"Since Mother Miranda brought her to the village, we have fallen into darkness." Mother Miranda? Who is she?

"Pardon me but who is Mother Miranda if you don't mind me asking?" I look at her questionably.

Me and Ethan looked at the huge castle as the old woman walked away with her stick making a noise.

"Wait! You haven't answered our questions!" I yelled as the old woman walked through the red gates.

The old woman said something that I couldn't catch as I overthink our situation right now.

I heard the old woman giggle loudly and the red gate creaking, which snapped me out of my thinking but before I could say anything she closed the gate as I sighed.

Ethan and I looked at each other and had a frown on our faces.