souls cannot die

IX. souls cannot die

Around her waist, Fujiwara Keiko fastened a gun holster.

She grabbed the weapon on her bed. Her fingers traced its cool metal, stopping where its title was engraved; Soul Reaper.

Keiko secured the gun nozzle-down into that strap, tightening it just a bit more. She let her shirt fall over it, big enough not to blow her cover. A pair of pants, her school bag, and then she was walking down the stairs.

The living room was lively; her parents, older brother, and cat were all huddled around the couch mid-conversation when she entered. It sounded important.

Her brother twisted. "Do you have it on you?"

"Yeah," she lifted her shirt, then walked over to her parents. Their faces were stern and their arms crossed. "What is it?"

Her dad rubbed his forehead. "It looks like the game has started. I saw someone walk around with a gun screaming about winning."

"Time is running out and we have no leads," her mom sighed.

The cat lounged onto the couch and extended a paw to Keiko.

"What?"

Its eyes narrowed into slits.

"You think I have a lead?"

It nodded fervently.

Her brother snapped his fingers. "He's talking about Xavier Cox. You brought him up yesterday."

"Oh. I need more information about him. Don't get your hopes up," Keiko told them. "But, it was definitely a good idea to get close to those two boys. Although being around them so often has turned me into a shit person."

"You were always a shit person," remarked her brother. The cat offered him an agreeing paw to which his palm met.

Keiko rolled her eyes at the two.

"Archer Darchetti," her father recalled. "His dad led Que until he was arrested two days ago. And Nathan Gaines. . . How is he helpful?"

She smirked. "He can throw a punch."

.
.
.

Nathan was currently throwing many punches.

His victim was one of their classmates whose glasses were now shattered and his nose bleeding. By now, the park was crowded with curious Lincoln Middle students.

The guy crossed his arms over his face. Nathan's consistent attacks pushed him backwards until his back hit a tree. "Alright, Nate, fuck! I said I was sorry!"

He threw the final jab. "Yeah, I bet you are."

Archer was close by of course. He squared his shoulders. "You shouldn't have tried to steal his money, man."

"I gave it back!" Exclaimed the one with broken glasses. "What did you think would happen if you're walking around school with so much cash?"