whatever it takes

VI. whatever it takes

Archer placed his fresh roses on the ground. Only three years later, and the headstone was already weathered. He swept the dirt away to clear up the letters.

In Loving Memory of Sofia Darchetti.
May She Rest in Peace.

He rose to his feet, and his father draped a hand on his shoulder. Amidst the graveyard, they were silent for a solemn minute.

It wasn't long before his dad spoke. "If only Blackwood hadn't erased the cloning technology. Your sister wouldn't have died so early."

"Yeah," Archer dropped his head.

"We thank Neo for what he did. His implant gave her some extra years, but," he clicked his tongue. "Blackwood's selfishness took away the cure to everything."

"Mhm-hm."

"Don't worry, son, I'll find the answers he hid, whatever it takes."

Archer looked up at he whose eyes were dim with resolve. In that moment, he knew not the weight of those words. Nonetheless, he looked at his sister's grave and squeezed his father's hand.

Nodding, he mirrored his dad's expression.

.
.
.

By the way his leg was vibrating, anyone could tell how impatient Nathan was.

Archer snickered at his lab partner. He leaned over, whispering so the teacher didn't hear them. It didn't matter much, really; they were at the very back of the classroom, and the teacher was a substitute.

"Damn, Nate, it's just three more minutes."

"Three minutes need to hurry the hell up." He smirked, nodding to the table to their right. "I know how to make the time go faster. Hey, Madison."

Archer looked over and laughed as he got the hint immediately. The girl turned to them with a worried expression.

Nathan cupped the side of his lip and raised the pitch of his voice. "Dear Diary, Archer is wearing a shirt from the second drawer of his dresser. He walked exactly three hundred and fifteen steps to get to school today. Oh, I wish I could kiss him." He made smooching noises in the air.

"Oh my god," Archer hit the table with a snort.

Madison turned away.

The two laughed until the final bell rang. As soon as they stepped out, they joined their third.

"Oi."

"Oh, Keiko." Archer greeted. Nathan was trailing behind them, tormenting Madison with more of his made-up diary prompts, this one about underwear.

They stopped at Nathan's locker first, since it was closest. He reached for his bag but got distracted by his own arms. "You guys think I should change my tattoos, yet?"

"Yeah, they're peeling enough. Do something like skeletons this time."

"Yeah?"

"Archer," Keiko pulled his attention. "I'm coming to your house today."

"Huh? Okay. But, why?"