the sacrificial lamb

VIII. the sacrificial lamb

His heart elsewhere, Xavier's face distorted. He scooted back. How spiteful it was to be fed only the tiniest bite of kindness. "P-Please. I don't want trouble, I only want to—"

"Okay. Go ahead." Nathan stepped aside, holding the door open for him. Archer walked to stand behind him, arms folded.

In their presence, Xavier was nothing but prey. Like predators, they guarded his exit, making it hardly an exit but bait. He looked back at Nathan's grandmother, and parted his lips. However, the blonde-haired predator saw his strategy.

"Ugh, I'm kind of hungry, Nana."

"Ohh, my poor Archer. You like baked potatoes, right? I'll heat it up for you." She placed her puzzle down, and went the other way.

Xavier's shoulders dropped. I don't have a choice. I'll just make a run for it.

He swallowed dry and, one leg after the other, inched forward. As soon as he passed the doorway, he readied himself to sprint and—but. But Nathan was stronger.

He was caught by his shoulders, and before the thought of shouting made way to the forefront, Xavier's lips were clamped shut by a palm.

Screams quieter than mice, he twisted to get away.

"We'll be in the basement, Nana!" Nathan yelled out, then lowered his tone. "Those my clothes you're wearing? And I can smell my body wash."

Xavier was quick to respond. Apologizing. Telling him he'd take it off. Of course, Nathan's palm meant that none of it was audible.

"Well, it doesn't matter. We're not doing this for something petty like clothes," he told him. "Just do what we say, Xavier."

Archer closed the door behind them. "Let's hurry."

Xavier was forced down and around to the backyard. He moved where he was made to move, grunting to no avail. Nathan's grip was unforgiving; it was nearly crushing his jaw.

Xavier threw his head and eyes left and right. He looked for any glimpse of humanity in their eyes. They were the same age as him, yet they seemed older. Bigger. Predatory.

"It's a good thing you have a door to the basement back here," Archer said. "Nana won't hear us, right?"

"'She's got bad hearing."

The swing of the door was a taste of captivity. His eyes wild with fear and frenzy, Xavier fought. Threw his shoulders around. Kicked. Shouted a muted plea.

"Shit. Grab his legs."

He fought as they forced him down the stairs. And as they made him sit on a chair. And again as they tied his wrists and ankles against it, and shut him up with a ball of fabric they stuck in his mouth.

After everything, prey lost.

And what a pathetic, one-sided fight it was.

Nathan was making sure his grandmother really wasn't aware of this. Archer was nearby, chin to the ceiling, exhaling. He was tired out from the fight, after all.