bait for a prey

VII. bait for a prey

A plan was vital.

To his left, the fenced backyard. To his right, the backed in SUV with the family getting out.

Xavier chewed his lower lip in deliberation. I'll hide until they enter the house. Quiet as a mouse, he slid back into the patio and listened for his cue.

A door opening and closing. An elongated yawn.

"Ba-abe, don't be loud. Juno's sleeping." The mother.

"Awh, did my girl fall asleep? Or-r is she faking so Mommy carries her to bed?" The father.

A little girl's giggle.

"Wha—? No way." She laughed. "We've gotta watch out for this one, babe, she had me fooled."

"Next time, I'll fool Daddy."

"I'm rooting for you," said her mom.

"Dream on."

"Oh—damn it. I forgot the house looks crazy."

"Because you're as messy as I am." He chuckled. "Don't worry about it. I'll get the bags, then clean the house. Go rest up."

"God, I love you."

His wife and daughter retreated. Then, suitcase wheels hit the asphalt. Xavier exhaled a puff of breath. As long as that man didn't think of coming to the backyard, he'd be alright.

"What the—?!"

Xavier choked on an inhale.

"Sorry. There was no way to show up without scaring you."

The boy craned his body to look over the corner. Just like he expected, someone else had entered. Weirdly so, he was standing on the side closest to Xavier. Where did he come from?

". . . Sinclair. Woah, I'm glad to see you, man. It's been years."

"I know," replied the guest. "Luka, there's something you need to hear."

"Okay. . ."

"Soon, your world is going to fall into chaos. Lots of people are going to start dying. That's all I can say, but, more importantly, there's a way to contact me if you need my help."

Luka blurted out a stupefied, "What?"

"I know it's unexpected." The one named Sin hummed. "Look, aside from your daughter, you're the only one here with LeRouge in your blood."

"Uh—okay?"

"If you bleed, I'll notice."

"What? And what kind of chaos? What exactly are you saying?"

"I'm saying don't die."

"Yeah, why is it you who's telling me that? Where the hell is Dimi? I haven't heard from him all these years. And where's he taken Evaughn? He's not dead, is he. . ."