2 January, 2024

Dearest Sable,

I'm sure it was quite nice to see Flint for Christmas, he has always been such a good friend. Do you still get to hunt with him? Cillian Odair took me out the other day to see the sun! We had to sneak past the guards, but he has lots of practice because he always brings flowers for his girl, Hyssop. She is okay, but she has seemed unhappy lately. I do not know why, as nothing has happened and she only has as much to worry about as the rest of us. If someone as sweet as Cillian brought me flowers every week, I'd find it hard to want to leave District 13 at all. Father prepared a wonderful Christmas dinner with hot taters, and we even had salt! AND coffee with sugar! Father has often contemplated escape, but the cares too much about the people of Panem—and I refuse to leave without him. If we were to leave, we would need to plan months in advance, as the only jets leaving are to gather food and necessary supplies, they load in a private but crowded area, and always return within a few hours. It is most inconvenient for everyone if someone escapes, so it must be done in secret. Once our escape is discovered, security will be tightened and things will grow more unbearable—so it is hard to leave when we care about the future of certain people in 13. I wish I had been there to hear your guitar playing, I have heard from various trustworthy folk that you are a delight to have around and your music much improves their spirits. I know Lucy Gray would be proud. I am very grateful that District 13 no longer has to participate in the Games, but some of us still watch it so we can see the developments the capitol is making. I hope snow will continue to fall.

Gillenia