Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

After getting back to his feet, Arthur said, 'So that was the Loch Ness Monster?'

'Yep. And don't be afraid of her. She's incredibly nice.'

'But how did she get through the well, if that's how she got in?' asked Merlynna. 'Surely it's too tight.'

'It took a lot of pushing and squeezing,' Esme replied. 'But in the end, we did it.'

'Hopefully, she's not too nice,' said Little Johnny.

'Oh, she can become quite furious when she wants,' said Esme. 'I saw her flick a fish with that neck of hers up into the clouds after it got a bit too nibbly with her. And I didn't see it come down.'

'Really?'

'Oh, yes. Now, we should probably get ourselves some dry clothes. Come on.'

'There's no need for that,' said Merlynna. 'I think I'm capable now.'

And with just a twitch of her nose, Arthur felt a surge of heat before his clothes, his hair and his skin began to evaporate. In the end, he, Little Johnny, Merlynna and Esme stood as dry as a bone.

'Time to start helping out, I guess,' Merlynna then said.

But before they could, the peel of a bell boomed, making every child and creature go still, and which was followed by someone yelling somewhere up in the trees, 'The Wild Children approach!'

Shocked faces quickly turned confused.

'Just them?' Arthur asked.

'Maybe they've come to give us a message from Morgana and the Sheriff,' suggested Little Johnny. 'An ultimatum or something.'

'You could be right,' said Merlynna.

'Well, let's go see if that's the case,' said Esme.

Then leading the way, she took off. And when they reached beyond the train, beyond its boundary, they saw the Wild Children standing in a group below a circle of Children of the Forest in the trees, the boy with the bowler hat in front.

'What do you want?' Esme asked gruffly and with suspicion.

'We're here to help,' the boy with the bowler hat replied with a look that Arthur had seen at the druid stones.

Sneers rang out from above.

Still with wariness plastered on her face, Esme said, 'Are you now?'

'Yes,' said the boy with the bowler hat.

'I'm sorry if I don't believe anything you say.'

'Please. We don't want this forest to be destroyed. It's our only home.'

'You shouldn't have turned to Morgana and the Sheriff, let them into your lives.'

'I know, but they promised if we did as they asked, the forest would be ours. Selfishness took over me, over us.'

'How do I know this isn't all just a ruse? How do I know you won't attack us when our backs are turned?'

With a flourish, the boy took off his bowler hat and tossed it at Esme's feet, sending murmurs of absolute shock flittering amongst the trees. He then wiped away the red paint from his face, the other Wild Children quickly following their leader. 'You may lock us away if you don't believe us.'

At this, Esme's suspicion softened and Arthur could tell that she believed the boy was sincere. He believed it too.

Esme picked up the bowler and dusted it off. 'You may take it back.'

The boy was hesitant, but he eventually walked over, plucked it from her hand and put it back on his head. 'Please let us help. Let us fight with you.'

Esme put a finger to her chin before looking up at the girls and boys in the trees and asking them, 'What do you say?'

There was no response at first, a quiet descending all around. But then, a little girl shouted, 'Let them help!'

'Yes, let them help!' came another and then another and then other until all the girls and boys had answered.

Esme lowered her gaze and stared at the boy with the bowler hat. 'Well that does it then. My family has spoken.' She then raised an opened hand. 'The Children of the Forest and the Wild Children are united once again. Put her there.'

The boy with the bowler hat took Esme's hand with his and bowed. 'Thank you.'

With a cheer, the girls and boys in the trees shook their arms with glee and the Wild Children beamed. And Arthur, Little Johnny and Merlynna looked on with hope in their hearts.

But everyone's mood soon changed, as a noise scuttled and swirled over the forest floor.

With the Shoes of Swiftness, Little Johnny was up a tree before anyone knew it. And as he stood on the top most branch, he looked out to see a wave of tiny beasts coming their way.

'REDCAPS!' he yelled before climbing back down.

'The Shadow is here,' quivered Arthur. He then turned to Esme, to everyone. 'This is your last chance to flee Robin's Wood, to save yourselves.'

'Not a chance,' Esme replied before bellowing, 'EVERYONE! TO YOUR STATIONS! IT'S TIME! IT'S TIME TO FIGHT FOR OUR HOME!'