Chapter Thirty-Seven

With the crown on his head, Arthur was quick to get the attention that he desired. And as he, Little Johnny and Merlynna swerved, dipped, looped and bobbed around enemy after enemy, the chase was on.

Through the hairy hands of a Yeti that clung to a mast they sped, around the thrashing horns of a minotaur that fell from the trees they dodged, under the slicing sword of a Sheriff's Man that swung from a rope they ducked and around a barrage of fairy spells they spun.

'Just wow!' screamed Little Johnny. 'Just wow, Merlynna! That was incredible!'

'Yes, all of that was on purpose,' Merlynna fibbed as she then managed to take the broomstick above the ship's sails.

Looking over his shoulder, Arthur gulped at what he saw, but he was pleased. 'We have quite a few on our tail.'

That was putting it mildly. All the fairies had started after them and all the Sheriff's Men were clambering in their direction.

'Now we just have to get Morgana and the Sheriff's attention,' Arthur continued, which was the easiest part.

Over the train in the trees they soared and over the carriage they zoomed.

'UP HERE, YOU COWARDS!' Little Johnny yelled.

'AFTER THE CROWN!' Morgana replied with a cackle from below before sending up a spell that was batted away by Arthur, who then gazed down and saw the silver arrow rocketing towards them.

'DO NOT LET THEM ESCAPE!' the Sheriff growled after it.

Soon, the trolls and the carriage joined the pursuit, making Arthur quiver in hope.

Now the Children of the Forest, the Wild Children and all the other creatures of Robin's Wood will have a fighting chance back at the ship, he thought. But then he noticed that the fairies were gaining on them.

'We need to go faster,' Arthur cried as he hacked at the silver arrow. The Sheriff's companion had reached them and was trying to shoot them out of the sky.

'I don't think I can make that happen,' Merlynna replied.

'I have an idea,' Little Johnny burst out. 'Merlynna, keep the broomstick as steady as possible.'

'I'll try.'

'What are you going to do?' asked Arthur, taking another swipe.

'To see if the Shoes of Swiftness can give us a boost,' Little Johnny replied before shockingly getting to his feet and thrusting out his arms for balance.

More shockingly, he then stepped over Arthur, who was beyond scared at his friend's acrobatics, and plonked himself down on the twiggy broom head at the back. Little Johnny then thread one of the halves of his staff between the Shoes of Swiftness and started juggling it with his feet. Around and around it went, picking up speed, until all became a smudge.

He had made a propeller. And its effect was immediate.

With a vroom, off they zipped.

'Well done!' shrieked Merlynna, though the extra speed had made the broomstick even more hard to control. 'But now what? They're still chasing us.'

'Let's head to Robin's Lair,' replied Arthur. 'Maybe we can hold them off there.'

'Aye, aye, captain.'

Through the forest the broomstick hurtled, it feeling like the children were on a never ending, manic rollercoaster, but Merlynna kept them aloft and on course. The trees swished past as if they were the wind itself until in no time they were at the ravine and back on their feet. And the second Arthur rushed over and placed his hand on the etching on the rock wall, the tunnel to Robin's Lair opened.

Arthur Hood: the Heir of Robin and Kingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें