Chapter Twenty-Eight

Începe de la început

'What's happening?' asked Esme.

'I think my magic's getting stronger.' Merlynna looked down at her broomstick and cast a spell. 'Fy.'

The broomstick shimmied, wobbled.

'You're doing it, Merlynna,' Esme breathed with excitement as it then began to lift.

But before the broomstick could get any higher, it dropped back to the ground with a thud.

Merlynna was annoyed and cursed under her breath. 'My magic's stronger but it's still weak.'

'But it's going in the right direction,' Little Johnny replied.

Merlynna nodded with a huff before saying, 'So, what's the plan now?'

'We should probably wait until it's light out before we continue our search for Arthur,' suggested Esme. 'If there are monsters out there, it would be best if we could see them.'

'I agree with that,' said Little Johnny.

'Yes, me too,' said Merlynna.

So the three waited and rested under the rock until morning made an appearance. After they had a bite to eat, they crawled out of their hiding place and started once again towards the Babbling Brook and the Wild Children's territory. And needless to say, they kept their distance from any body of water.

Not too long after, however, and as they were skirting a beaver pond, they heard something. It was a clashing noise.

'That sounds like the claws of something huge,' quivered Little Johnny. He was quick to raise his staff, ready to start swinging.

'Or the gnashing teeth of something huge,' said Merlynna.

'It's neither,' answered Esme. ' Remember you heard the exact same noise when we went looking for the Lady of the Lake. It's the ghosts of Robin Hood's good fellows.'

'Oh, yes, that's right, I remember,' Little Johnny and Merlynna said together.

Little Johnny lowered his staff and added, 'What a relief.'

The children continued on until the clashing died to a faint buzz, but as they traipsed along a path dotted with wild strawberries, another sound stopped them in their tracks. It was close. It was a squeaking laugh.

'Now what's that?' asked Little Johnny.

Esme gulped. 'I've never heard anything like that before.'

'I have,' Merlynna said with fear. 'We had one sneak into the orphanage during the winter a few years ago. And let me just say, if it wasn't for Miss Harrower, Madame Joan and Mrs Good finding it quickly, I wouldn't be standing here today.'

'One?' breathed Little Johnny. 'One? What is it?'

'It's a redcap.'

'What's that?' asked Esme.

'An evil and murderous little creature,' Merlynna replied.

Little Johnny's heart began to pound. 'At least it's only one.' But suddenly, more and more squeaking laughs burgeoned throughout the forest. 'Why did I open my mouth?'

'We need to run,' croaked Merlynna.

The three were about to do so when a redcap leapt out in front of them. And it was hideous. It had crusty warty ears, hair the color of blood and a crooked nose that peeled and dripped.

'Little bitty children are my favorite meal,' the creature squawked, rubbing its long-fingered hands together. 'We're going to eat well today.'

As Fury hissed above, showing his teeth at the fiend, a chorus of snapping twigs rang out. Then all round, like some horde, appeared more redcaps. And they just kept coming. Hundreds and hundreds there were.

Little Johnny made sure the Shoes of Swiftness were tied tightly before raising his staff. 'It looks like it's time to fight.'

'It sure does.' Merlynna stuck out her hands, ready to unleash what magic she had.

'I wish I had something more substantial to use than this.' Esme had raised Robin's horn above her head.

Merlynna looked over at her before pulling out her yo-yo. She then handed it to Esme. 'You can use this.'

'I thought the ogre broke it.'

'It's magic. It can mend itself.'

'Here we go!' screamed Little Johnny as the children's visions were now just blotted with the countless charging redcaps.

Only a second later, all mayhem let loose. Stunning charms whipped through the air, the yo-yo zipped, tripped and tangled. Furry wings dive bombed, and the Shoes of Swiftness sent Little Johnny and his staff pummeling through the evil mass, sending redcaps into the air and over trees.

It was complete chaos. But despite the children doing their best, fighting as hard as they could, there were just too many of the murderous creatures. In time, moving through the throng of ravenous giggles without being clawed at was impossible.

'This can't be it,' cried Merlynna. 'This can't be how it ends. What about the enchanted girls?'

'What about the Children of the Forest?' came Esme.

'It's not over until it's over,' Little Johnny shouted with gusto, though he knew they were done for. And his thoughts were quick to how he got here, it all beginning with him hiding on the back of Mr Scarlett's carriage.

The children closed their eyes and waited for everything to end. But just then, a different noise blew by. Through the crush and hysterical laughter of the redcaps, it was faint at first and grew to a plodding rush.

Help was on its way.