'He's right,' the young Merry Knight said before another voice pierced into the chamber with an ear-splitting shriek.

'They've found us,' it said.

Arthur turned and saw a petrified Bitty and Dolores.

'The Shadow has found the Isle of Avalon,' cried Bitty.

Gasps filled the chamber.

'How's that possible, Will?' asked Miss Eustace.

'I can only think it's Arthur's piece of the Sword in the Stone,' replied Mr Scarlett. 'The Princess of the Fays must somehow be using hers to find it.'

'What do we do?' bellowed Little Johnny.

'We must defend ourselves,' boomed Arthur's great uncle.

'And we will,' Mr Scarlett replied. 'Amzin, you'll take the boys to the top of the tower. They'll be safer there. 'Amzin? Amzin?'

The centaur wasn't listening. His attention was on something else. And he was riddled with even more fear than before.

'What is it, Amzin?' Mr Scarlett yelled.

Amzin just pointed.

Everyone turned back to the portal and saw a terrible sight. Faces. The faces of evil. The faces of fanged fairies, of raging Sheriff's Men, of hideous goblins, of monstrous minotaurs and many other wicked creatures.

'The Shadow is about to come through,' cried Miss Eustace.

In a flash, Mr Scarlett bounded over to King Arthur's crown and Pridwen, grabbed them both and brought them to Arthur and Little Johnny. 'Take these and go to the top of the tower while we try to fight them off.'

'We can fight too,' Arthur cried.

'Yes,' Little Johnny burst out, flashing his staff, 'let me get a piece of them.'

'Your courage is very honorable, you two,' replied Mr Scarlett, 'but your survival is the only thing we can hope for now. Please, take the crown and shield and go.'

'But–but–but–' started Arthur.

'Do it for your parents,' howled Arthur's great uncle as the horrible faces on the other side of the portal were only moments away from appearing.

With a huff, Arthur grabbed Pridwen from Mr Scarlett and handed it to Little Johnny. He then grabbed the crown. 'Let's go.'

The boys bolted out of the chamber and began climbing the tower's stairs once more. As they quickened their pace, the sound of a commencing fight and the battled voices of Bitty, Dolores, Miss Eustace, Arthur's great uncle, Mr Scarlett and Amzin shuddered up.

The top of the tower couldn't come any faster. And once inside the room, the two began to barricade themselves in. Desks, chairs and many other objects were thrown against the entrance until it was completely hidden.

'Now what?' yelled Little Johnny.

But before Arthur could answer, he heard the sound of flapping wings, pounding boots and the clamor of other beasts bounding after them.

Did that mean the fight had already been lost?

'Get back,' Arthur yelled and the two cowered to the other side of the room, where they just listened to the coming threat getting louder.

The boys gulped with every shudder of the tower before the barricade exploded with a crash, sending them, the crown and the shield to the floor. And once everything cleared, Arthur craned his head and saw him. The Deputy.

'You have nowhere to run now, Arthur Hood,' the man barked as fairies hovered behind him and terrifying monsters growled behind. Then unsheathing his sword, he said, 'You are coming with us.'

Little Johnny popped back up to his feet and began spinning his staff. 'You'll have to get through me first.'

Arthur clawed himself up too and was quick to retrieve the crown and shield. And it was then that the crown started to vibrate like it did down in the chamber.

Suddenly, the rolls of parchment and debris scattered everywhere lifted into the air and started to race around, quickly shrouding the Deputy.

'It's happening again,' yelled Arthur.

Faster and faster the torrent went until another image burst forth. Thankfully, it wasn't Camelot this time, but a village with a cobbled street deserted of any menace.

'Where do you think that is?' Little Johnny yelled.

'I don't know,' Arthur shouted back.

'Your efforts are futile. Give up and perhaps you will see your parents again.'

Arthur snapped his gaze back towards the door and saw the Deputy had slashed his way through the flying wreckage.

'Don't listen to him,' Little Johnny howled as he jabbed his staff in the direction of the approaching man.

Beyond anything, Arthur wanted to see his mom and dad again, but his new friend was right. The situation was definitely now more important than just his parents.

After making sure his backpack was still on, Robin Hood's feathers, his piece of the Sword in the Stone and Amzin's prophecy tucked away inside, Arthur gripped the crown and shield tighter.

'We need to go,' he then bellowed at Little Johnny. 'We need to jump through the portal.'

Little Johnny lowered his staff, as the Deputy lunged towards them, and nodded. The two then turned to the image of the cobbled street and jumped.