14: Come Back to Me

So um...this one is very long...at 8128 words it's likely the longest of the bunch unless I get carried away somewhere else. But that being said...I adore it. It's a beautiful chapter and a beautiful ending to this 2 parter so I hope you can forgive me.

Location: Earth, London, 1913

A little bit before we had to get ready for the dance, John offered to draw me properly in his study and I simply couldn't resist. Even though I, or at least a version of me, had been featured quite a few times in his journal, there was something so intimate about posing for someone. I made sure to sit absolutely still as he chuckled to himself which was making me nervous. He eventually finished and held it to his chest as I rolled my eyes and pointed to the book.

"Can I see?" I asked and John nodded, taking a seat next to me and holding it out. The sketch was gorgeous and my heart swelled, not really believing that a man like him could make me so beautiful. "Oh, goodness Do I look like that? Are you sure that's not me? I mean…it's even better than the one before."

John rolled his eyes since I had flipped to a page with a very ugly creature and grabbed my hand before flipping it back. "Most definitely this page. Do you like it?"

"You've made me far too beautiful," I muttered and he shook his head.

"Well, that's how I see you."

"I mean well…I'm just a librarian…we're not supposed to be beautiful," I muttered and sat there all flustered as John chuckled.

"That's not fair at all," he muttered and ran a hand along my hair as we stared at each other. 

Before I could even begin to comprehend what he was getting at, John leaned forward and placed a tender kiss on my lips. He pulled back and stared at me before going right back into it, this time deeper and I could feel something spark and fizzle like I had just been struck by lightning. It was a wonderful sensation and John wrapped a hand around me to deepen it further, deciding that I didn't really need the air he was depriving me of. He eventually pulled back and for the first time I caught the smallest hint of a blush on his cheeks as well as mine. John grinned and looked as though he was about to kiss me again when we were interrupted. Martha had come running in and John growled before turning to her, an angry look on his face.

"Martha, what have I told you about entering unannounced?" He shouted and she muttered a sorry before wandering off.

"She's actually a good reminder that I need to get ready," I muttered and John nodded before sitting back and allowing me to stand. "By the way, for a first if that was, you did exceptionally well." 

I grinned as the blush deepened before running off, my heart so full it felt like it was going to float away. But I wouldn't change it for the world and was eager to see what he thought of the dress I had planned on wearing. There was something in me that was certain tonight would change everything and I hoped to look my very best.

***

I returned about an hour later and ordered John to turn around so I could surprise him. The dress I picked was from the village, from a small little shop that was family owned. It was nothing exceptional, just a bit above the ankles and a dark blue with cap sleeves and buttons down the front with gold detailing on the collar. I sucked in a deep breath, preparing myself for his reaction before saying I was ready. John turned and his eyes widened as I did a little twirl to show off the whole look.

"You look wonderful," he said, grinning. "Absolutely beautiful."

"Now I hate to ask this…I really do…but can you dance?" I asked and he shrugged.

"I'm not certain."

"There's a surprise. Is there anything you're certain about?" I asked and he smiled before moving closer.