~27~

Amaris

After our conversation Anton excused himself to attend to pack matters, leaving me in Monday's company. She offered to introduce me to some more of the other members. It was a kind gesture, and I accepted.

Throughout the early afternoon, I met a variety of pack members, each with their unique personalities and stories. They were curious about my presence but respected my privacy, for the most part. I could tell that the pack was a close-knit community, and while I couldn't help but feel a sense of longing for the belonging they shared, I still found myself aching for the solitude of my cave.

As the day wore on, I found myself feeling a little more than restless, locked in the house. I wasn't used to being so confined. I also hadn't been practicing as much and an ache settled in my joints echoing my concern.

"Monday, would I be able to wander around the pack grounds for a bit? It's getting stuffy here." I felt weird asking for permission to do anything, but with the rogue attacks and Anton and my truce, I was trying to be on somewhat my best behavior.

Before answering I saw her eye glass over, knowing she was linking Anton. "Yeah that's fine, I think I'll come along too if you don't mind." I didn't mind, but I knew her motive to come with me was not as innocent as she was making it appear.

We strolled through the pack lands watching the members go about their day, I felt the muscles in my legs relax enjoying being stretched out. As we walked children rushed out of the building, running through the streets. I turned to Monday, "what's going on?" She looked at me for a moment, her brow creasing in the center. "The children are running everywhere."

Monday's eyes widened and she cracked a grin, "school just let out for the day." She looked at me for a moment, not saying anything, her eyes softening. "Sometimes I forget where you come from. I feel like you know a lot about our world and also so little, it's hard for me to find what needs explanations sometimes."

"I know some things from others passing through the woods, suitcases with books tucked into them that I could pick through, conversations overheard from people further away. I know what school is, but the connection to how it works in an actual society is lost on me sometimes." Monday nods along with me but says nothing further as we walk.

A scent drifts through the air, and I know Anton is nearby before I actually see him walking up to us. Before I can get a word in I'm engulfed by his arms and his nose digging into my neck. His rigid body relaxes around me.

I hear Monday mutter "Alpha males, fucking ridiculous." Anton looks up from me and growls deeply in her direction before going back to his weird sniff-fest. Mondays arms fly up in a surrender pose.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, allowing my arms to wrap around his back as well. He gruffs in response, grabbing tighter, his heartbeat rapping hard in his chest.

As Anton relaxes more I finally feel him free me from his embrace and take a few steps back. "Pack politics, my wolf was about to rip off some heads. I'm sorry."

"It's alright." We both stare at each other for another beat before children's laughter engulfs us.

The children dash around my feet playing tag with one another and I smile at them as they push by. A little girl lags behind them trying to catch up, and ends up bumping into my leg and tripping to the ground. I quickly bend down to help her up.

"Slow down there, you'll hurt yourself." The little girl stays quiet and gives an almost  inaudible "sorry" and plays with her hands embarrassed. "Why are you in such a hurry?" I smile hoping to get a response this time, and bend lower to her eye level.

"My friends, I wanted to catch up." I nod understanding. "I'm just too slow." I frown at her. "I'm not a good runner and everyone else is."

"So?" The little girl looks up at me with surprise laced eyes.

"But we're wolves, we're supposed to be fast." I tuck a loose brown lock behind the little girl's ear.

"What's your name?"

"Lily."

"Well that's a very pretty name." I tell her, she says nothing. " Well, Lily, the only thing you're supposed to be is you. If Lily isn't a runner then you're not supposed to be a runner." She smiles at me. "Tell me something you are good at."

"I like to garden," she tells me.

"I think that is wonderful," she smiles and then looks behind me.

"My friends waited," she squeals. I look over my shoulder and see a group of kids behind me waiting for their friend, and silently praise their kindness. I turn back to the little girl.

"Well, before you go I have something I need to give you."

"Really?"

"Yes, see I'm quite the gardener myself." I put my hands to the ground and closed my eyes. When I lift my hand a single Lily springs from the ground. The girl laughs giddy at the flower.

"Thank you Luna!"

"Oh I'm not," but I didn't get to finish my sentence. Lily had already taken the flower and dashed off to show her friends. I stand up and wipe the dirt off my dress.

"That was quite the party trick." I whip my head around startled. "Jasper, we met a bit ago." He smiled then looked at Anton bowing his head, "Alpha."

Anton gave a small nod "Jasper, good to see you."

"Oh right nice to see you again." I looked at Monday, who was staring back at me wide eyed, both of us having the mutual understanding that my gifts were probably not something that needed to be shared with the pack, at least not yet. Jasper smiled, awkwardly at both of us within the silence.

"Well, it was nice seeing you again. I'll see you guys around." Jasper gave Anton another bow of his head, then walked off.

It was Monday who broke the silence first. "Pack House?"

"My office." Anton barks as he strides in front of us.

a/n

So sorry!! I keep my written parts on a timer so they release without me having to press publish. I set this one for the wrong day, Oops! Thank you all for commenting and messaging me, I would have totally forgotten.

I want to thank everyone for reading, liking, and commenting. Your interactions with my story truly inspire me to keep writing. Love you all.

Comment any New Year's resolutions you have! Mine is to get this thing finished!

xoxo,

EA