PROLOGUE

When the kitsune is young, she thrives off the prayers and gifts sent to her. When a kitsune ages, it gains tails and wisdom from otherworldly spirits who think the fox is deserving of them. In this world, there are spirits of all sorts, but this specific little fox was chosen. A drifting spirit phased through an unborn child, creating a mutant of life. A baby girl was born with deformities, ears, and a tail like no other. The parents were out of the picture as fast as the child could cry, unwilling to believe their own baby was cursed by spirits, and threw her into a river to die. The child's body may have died, but the newly possessed spirit roamed. Originally it was a husk of a person, but the spirit later ascended to fulfill all spiritual duties. This spirit's name is Azalea, the Kitsune of Flowers and Trees. Some of the spiritual duties include prayers, guarding temples from bad omens, creating life from nothing, and taking care of the things granted in their title. Although certain spirits may serve as the temple's guardians, others believed their capabilities weren't as important. Because of this importance, spirit folk constructed pyramid charts to show how more significant spirits would be positioned at the top of the pyramid and treated with the highest respect, while other spirits would be treated with less if they were near the bottom of the pyramid. The amount of time a spirit spends in a human body and its skill set would determine its duties and reputation on the pyramid. Naturally, this meant that spirits with lesser reputations would be more likely to be demoted and cast out of the spirit's world. Especially baby foxes who are sacrificed at birth.