Introducing Lavender Florez

"Ven, have you finished packing?"

I look around at my halfway-packed room and back out the door where my mother waits downstairs. We have to leave in three hours to check in to my new school which is my first boarding school. I sigh before getting back to work with packing. "Not yet! Allen can come get the stuff that's already done!" I yell back. Soon, my stepdad and step-older brother walked in the door. "The ones that are zipped up and by that wall are ready to go," I explained pointing to them.

"Alright, kiddo. We'll get that taken care of for you." Allen says. "Thanks," I reply. Lucas grabs three of the bags and carries them out. He doesn't talk much. We were kind of forced together but never got really close. We do talk sometimes, just not about anything really deep. He does like Atlas though, my German Shepherd service dog. 

I got him about two years ago when he was a puppy before my stepdad and brother moved in. I trained him myself without anyone to lean on for help. The only other handlers I've run into were fakes that nearly took Altas' head off. That happened a week ago while I was with Lucas at the mall. Our parents force us together sometimes. 

He stepped in front of me and Atlas and gave the person and the mall an earful. I knew he had my back at that point. You wouldn't mistake us for siblings by our looks either. Lucas stood at six feet, while I stood at five foot five. His hair is bleached blonde while mine is auburn. His eyes are a rare green and mine are average old brown. His style is a lot different too.

He wears worn-out jeans, converse, hoodies, jeans or leather jackets, and a beanie most of the time. He also has both earlobes pierced with nubs usually the norm. I usually wear a T-shirt, hoodie and a pair of shorts, maybe a pair of jeans or sweatpants, maybe even a skirt. I have my left upper ear pierced. I don't wear makeup like most girls either.

I finish packing Atlas' bag and a few pairs of tennis shoes and boots. I move two more bags by the wall. I break down Atlas' kennel and move it by the wall as well. After one more bag, I am finally packed up. I look around my almost empty room. This will be my second year of high school, but my first year away from my friends and family. I'll be able to drive soon so I can be home on weekends, but until then Lucas will have to drive me. 

He is in his Junior year and it'll be his second year at this school. He and I only really see each other on the weekends or holidays because of that. But now we will be in the same school. Maybe we will get closer? He'll probably ignore me in front of his friends though. I sigh as my mom walks through the door. "Finally done?" She asks. "Yes, ma'am." She nods. "Good."

"We need to go pick Atlas up anyway. Lisa should be just about done with him." She says. I nod and follow her out to her car. Lisa is my aunt who is a dog groomer. She grooms Atlas once a month for free. She's always been very nice to us and is very nice to Lucas and Allen. "Wanna drive? Get some time in?" She asks. "Yes please," I say quickly before grabbing the keys and rushing over to the driver's side.

We get in and begin driving the ten minutes it takes to get to Aunt Lisa's shop. In ten minutes we pull up to the small building saying, 'Dog Grooming'. We hop out and enter the store. I work my way around a couple and a pair of kids and get to the grooming room. Mom went off to buy Atlas a new brush, some more soap, and a bunch more treats.