"I got a pepperoni with black olives on it like you like it, Papa." Maggie told him as he hummed in acknowledgment, still watching his black and white shows on the screen.

"You know, I was going to be in one of these movies." Grandpa spoke, pointing to the screen. "But your grandmother told me if I wanted to run away to Hollywood to not come back. That woman really thought that if I went into movies, I'd never come back to her! Ha! A silly woman she was." He muttered.

"A silly woman indeed. You were head over heels for her." Maggie responded, saying the same thing she did every time he told her this story. Grandpa nodded in agreement at that, rubbing his chin in thought.

"I've told you this before, haven't I?" He asked, his voice somewhat low as his eyes moved to her and looked at her knowingly. Sometimes Grandpa would realize that he repeated the same thing, having a moment of clarity in the fog of his that was slowly becoming more and more prominent.

"Oh, only once." Maggie reassured him with a loving smile as he chuckled heartily.

"Why do you put up with me when you could be out doing something fun?" Grandpa asked her as she shook her head, rolling her eyes playfully.

"Pft, you're the most fun I'm gonna get. Don't ask silly questions like that, Papa. I love spending my time with you and making sure you're okay."

"And what about William? Don't you want to go be with him right now?" Grandpa asked and Maggie tensed up at the mention of it. That was another thing he repeated sometimes too. The mention of William's name made her stomach churn in upset but Maggie tried to school her expression and keep her voice even before responding. "Uh oh, did you two get into a fight? I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up Darling."

Fight. His fists connecting to her cheek, blood running down her mouth. "I'm gonna grab a soda, are you done with your coffee?" Maggie asked, trying hard to change the topic and keep her mind off of any lingering dark thoughts. Grandpa stared at her for a moment before slowly nodding and holding out his mug for her to take. Maggie reached for it, and as she grabbed it, his hand laid down gently over hers.

"I love you, Maggie darling." Grandpa muttered quietly as she smiled at him.

"I love you too, papa." He then let go and Maggie turned around to take the mug to the sink, her smile melting off her face. The rest of the evening went by in a blur after that. Soon it was ten and Grandpa shuffled off to bed, telling her he was taking out his hearing aids for the night.

Maggie got ready for bed then, taking her time to lay out her scrubs for tomorrow, and looking at her schedule. When everything was in order and Maggie was about to get into bed, a knock sounded on her door. "Oh gosh." She sighed before going to the door and opening it. Standing there was Maggie's boyishly charming neighbor, Tom. Tom was around his thirties, had chocolate colored hair, with matching chocolate colored eyes, fair skin, a sharp nose with inquisitive eyes, tall, slim but with broad shoulders, and a dry sense of humor. He was always wearing a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up, a pair of slacks with loafers, and a belt.

"Maggie, hey." Tom gave her a smile and she gave him a slightly forced smile back, hoping he would make this quick.

"Hey Tom, what's up?" She asked him softly as his eyes looked her over and to her pajamas sheepishly.

"Sorry, were you about to go to bed? I can come back." He apologized, scratching the back of his head. Maggie shook her head, feeling bad suddenly.

"It's fine, I was just going to go and read until I fell asleep, nothing exciting. Go ahead, what did you need?" She asked as he messed with his hands awkwardly for a moment before crossing them across his chest in resolve.