Heroes & Villains; Hobie Brown x Fem!Reader

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Being a villain wasn't what you signed up for.

You'd started off as a simple mercenary, stealing things, shooting things, killing the occasional bad guy, but now...now things were different.

Working for Osborne sounded like a dream at first. Big pay-offs and guaranteed protection. He was the biggest kid in the playground and you were his trusty sidekick, always staying behind, concealed in his shadow.

It wasn't a horrible place to be. You'd never been one to enjoy the spotlight, all those judging eyes on you, all those fake smiles. It was easier to stay out of the way.

But then things started getting dirty. Instead of stealing jewelry and money, you stole files and blueprints. Instead of killing crime lords and murderers, you killed governors and state officials. Anything to keep Osborne in power, anything to prevent the possibility of his well-built regime toppling over. And now, if he ever did fall from that throne, you'd be the first to be crushed.

And that wasn't even the worst part. The worst part was having goddamn Spider-man, always on your tail. Because you weren't just some lowlife thug anymore. You were a villain.

Villains were the people heroes fought, the ones despised by the civilians, spat at by strangers, because villains were bad people. That's why heroes like Spider-man fought you. Because you were a bad person. And there was no going back. Not anymore.

You leaped from the edge of the rooftop you were perched on, rolling onto the top of another one of the beige apartment buildings situated on the block, the lights inside all shut off. It was nearing midnight, and you'd just finished with another target.

State official Kendrick Johnson. He wasn't the nicest person, but he wasn't terrible either. But then of course, he was socialist. Which means he was a direct threat to Osborne's policies. Which meant, of course, he had to be put out. Like the flame of a candle. Insignificant, to you at least. You were numb to it now, having a kill count so high, you couldn't even remember the number. You barely even remembered the first person you murdered, all those years ago.

But that's just the cycle of life, right? You were just trying to survive, even if that meant being considered a bad guy. You were just doing what you did best.

You walked along the edge of the rooftop, arms out for balance while you teetered over the side, looking down at the streets thoughtfully, gaze running over the bright white streetlights and the street dogs huddled together for warmth.

And then you heard it. Quiet footsteps. You stopped in your tracks and the noises stopped too. You chuckled softly under your breath. You'd recognize those loud, clanky boots anywhere.

"Hey, Spider-Man."

You turned around gracefully, a slight grin on your face, giving a playful bow to the tall, masked man standing a couple feet in front of you. "Hey yourself." he replied, cocking his head to the side as he put his hands behind his back.

"You here to arrest me?" You asked, batting your eyes at him innocently, taking a couple slow, dragged out steps towards him. "Whatever you think I did, I didn't do it."

"So you didn't just kill a man?" He asked with a raised brow, hands moving towards his pockets as he watched you. "I didn't just kill a man. I did it a little while ago."

"Yeah? Give me a number."

"...15 minutes? 20? I wasn't keeping count."

He scoffed, rolling his eyes at you. "You know, he was one o' the few 'fficials I actually liked."