The Flayed

I wasn't sure what time it was now, I had been out for so long, all I knew was that it was daytime. I had been awake for a bit now but I didn't have the energy to move, El said I needed to rest anyways, but I felt guilty for just laying here while everyone else was up and stressing about where my possessed step-brother would be and what other evil is out there.

     I finally picked up the energy to get up and slowly made my way to a sitting position, I struggled with my sore back and my annoying migraine but soon got myself there. I looked ahead at the table where El, Lucas, Mike, and Will stood.

"Illinois, like Illinois the state?" I heard Mike question. Please don't tell me we have to go to a whole other state now. We were already in enough trouble for not going home when we were supposed to.

Speaking of we.

"Hi Max." I looked down at the coffee table, Bailey sat there with a few little board game figures in front of her, she must've been playing with them like they were dolls. I sighed in relief happy that I saw her before going into full panic mode.

"Hey. You okay?" I asked her. She didn't look to be hurt at all but last night had to be nothing but stressful for her.

"Are you okay?" She asked. Inhaled deeply, I honestly felt like shit, but I didn't want to tell her that, I didn't want to tell anyone for that matter, we had a much bigger thing to worry about right now.

"Well, there's nothing we can do, we can't reach them if they're in the middle of the woods." Will said.

"What's going on?" I asked, everyone turned to me then looked at El, ready for her to explain it to me.

-

     El did a few more dabs against my cheek before she put the rag down and placed a bandage on my face. "Is that okay?" She asked. I nodded and looked up at the mirror staring into my eyes, I looked worse than I did the last time I looked as myself, if I was even looking at myself. I don't know who I was, and the person looking back didn't know me either, she was scared, scared of the monster in front of her.

     I jumped and looked at El, she immediately pulled away like she had done something wrong. "I'm sorry." I said. I looked down out of shame, I made her feel bad, I'm acting like she'll hurt me or something.

"It's okay." She said. But it wasn't, I was being an asshole, I have been this entire time she'd been around me, all because I don't know how to keep control of myself. "Can I see?" She asked.

"W-What?" I stammered, I must've been zoning out or something, too trapped in my thoughts, acting as if she's not there, like a dick. But maybe it would've been better if she wasn't here, so she doesn't have to keep witnessing my anger and being made to feel bad. Why does she keep staying? Why is she trying to help me? She can't, because everything I do is my fault, there's nothing to help, she needs to stop trying before she gets hurt.

     Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with me? What am I saying?

     This is what I mean, I'm nothing but an asshole, there are people trying to help me and be my friend, but I do nothing but push them away.

"Your back." She said.

"O-Oh." Without saying more, I turned my back to face her, I wasn't comfortable with it but I was afraid to say no. But why? Probably because no is never taken as an answer for me.

     She gently lifted the back of my shirt causing me to tense up. I shut my eyes almost expecting something, it was almost out of habit, but nothing happened, I didn't even feel a touch on my skin. I opened my eyes and looked at the mirror viewing a large bruise across my back, on the bright side, nothing was broken, and I'm still walking so no spine injuries.