01 - princess

"Happy birthday, Leonor!" People throwing themselves around, DJ music filling the ballroom, and tons and tons of food. All for you, Kim Leonor. Sitting on a literal throne in the ballroom was the said girl, politely taking gifts and well wishes from people queueing up to speak with you.

"Thanks... thank you," You went around thanking people that showed up at your birthday party. You were looking around awkwardly, before being escorted to a grand chair at the platform. You smile awkwardly at people smiling and admiring you, almost practically treating you like a princess. You glance around, trying to find your best friend, Jaeun. Looking around, you felt a comforting hand on your shoulder, turning around in relief to see Jaeun standing beside you. 

"Thank god you're here. I'm suffocating." Jaeun chuckles, sitting on the armrest of your chair. "You're the Prime Minister's daughter after all, people will look at you...like a goddess." You wince at her words, cringing internally. 'What if I...wasn't the Prime Minister's daughter?' Just the though of yourself being carefree, happy Leonor excited you. 

"Happy birthday, darling." You smile grimly, holding back the urge to roll your eyes as your father walks up to press a chaste kiss on your forehead, before walking away to talk to his colleagues, his cabinet of ministers. You glance at Jaeun annoyed. "Yeah...What if I wasn't the Prime Minister's daughter Kim Leonor...but just Leonor...?"

Jaeun just playfully shrugs at you, before you look away pondering life without being so...sophisticated and prim and proper.

---------------------------------

"Leo...!" Jaeun jumps on your bed the next morning, as you groan annoyed. "What is it, Jae..." Your ears perk up at Jaeun's voice whispering into your ear. "We...are going to Korea," You sit up immediately at the news, looking at Jaeun in shock and surprise. 

"Your dad just told the maids at breakfast earlier to help you pack your belongings...! He said...it's your birthday gift..!" You couldn't believe your ears. At 20 years of age, this was your first trip to South Korea. 

You look at her, "And you get to go too?" Jaeun nods excitedly, as she drags you out of bed to the dining hall in the family mansion.

"You're letting me go to South Korea?" You greet your parents good morning, before feeding yourself some strawberry yogurt. "You're 20 now, and I know how much you want to go overseas with Jaeun, so...your mother and I are allowing you to." You squeal at your father's words.

"I was hoping you would pay Seoul National University a visit too." You stay silent, listening to your father's words. You glance at your mother, who smiles at you encouragingly. "Didn't you want to study law? SNU is the best school to get a bachelor's in law." You nod, listening. 

"I'll think about it." 

That was how you were sat in the seats of the Kim's Private Jet, with Jaeun and your assistant cum guardian, Gaeul. 

"Gaeul, when will we reach-" "In 5 hours, Miss Leonor." You glance up at Gaeul, before nodding. 

Before you knew it, you succumbed to the drowsiness, falling asleep beside an already asleep Jaeun. 

"iss...Miss..." You get shaken away slightly, looking up to recognise Gaeul. "We're here, Miss Leonor." You excitedly look out the window to see the jet already land, before patting Jaeun awake. 

"Jaeun...we're here. We're in South Korea."