Former Number One Hero

{this one pivots to be more about the Midoriya family we will refocus on the Todorokis next chapter I'm sorry for the info dump but I want to get through it so that I can get to the actual plot of this thing!}

It was always a little awkward, being all smiles in a hospital, but Deku had always told Kaz that smiling helped other people feel better, and he really wanted to make Kei and Kocho feel better. He smiled weakly as he watched Kei play with her cupcake.

    "Not hungry?"

    "Not really, I'm sorry." She smiled weakly as she licked the cupcake with a sigh. Kaz frowned, that's fine." he replied, shrugging his shoulders as he tried to think about something to talk about besides current events.

    "Did dad ever tell you about the time I got kidnapped?"

    Kaide interjected "which one? You were kidnapped twice."

    "I mean they're pretty much the same story." Kaz shrugged his shoulders

    Kocho laughed "Your dad was the number one hero and you got kidnapped twice?"

    "Yeah."

    "How?"
    "Well, dad told me I needed to be friendly to everyone. He told me to be approachable and nice to everyone, so when someone asked me to help them find their puppy, I felt it was my duty as the number one hero's quirkless child to climb into their van."

    Kei frowned, "Wow that must have been scary.."

    "No! No!" Kaz shook his hands in front of him, now he had just distressed Kei further. "I was always rescued before I knew how much danger I was in." he sighed "dad always rescued me even if it hurt him, even after he gave his quirk to someone else, it's what parents do."

    Kei nodded sadly, "R-really? Mr.Midoriya got hurt?"

    "Quite a few times, yeah." Kaz murmured, "I-I was his kid, people used me to hurt him all the time." 

    Kei nodded, "Oh." She murmured

    Kaz cocked his head to the side "What?"

    Was that what was happening now? Someone using her and her mother to hurt her dad? She looked at Kaz with a sigh "Nothing.. How was your dad number one hero without a quirk?"

    Kaz hesitated, before shrugging "he had a quirk, but he gave it up to help mom start the facility she runs now."
    Kei nodded, "He just gave his quirk up?"

    "Yeah. It's complicated, he has a quirk that can be passed from person to person. He found a successor, and passed it to him."

    "Why didn't he give it to you?"

    Kaz shrugged, "Can't say I know. Guess I messed up too many times." He smiled at her softly and Kei frowned when she saw Mr Midoriya was looking at them, he handed the things he had gotten from their house to Hawks. Kaz could see his dad was heartbroken by what he said, but didn't want to have this fight in front of other people. So he just forced a smile at Kei.

    "How do you feel? I'm sure it's-I'm sure it's-" He shook his head and wiped his eyes "I'm sorry." he said as he walked out the door. Kaz groaned, rolling his eyes as he followed his father out the door. Kaide frowned as she watched them both leave, great. She was probably going to be staying with the Midoriyas that night and now she got to deal with this

    "I'm sorry." Kaz murmured

    Deku shook his head "I don't-I can't-I'm not." He whimpered, "We'll talk later." Deku couldn't even look at his son.