46 - Unearthed Depths

Start from the beginning

"Did you find one of them?" J-Hope says softly.

Jimin stands still in concentration. J-Hope approaches him and he prepares himself to see a gut-wrenching sight, but the crevice is deep enough that he doesn't see anyone, just a hole that opens into darkness.

The imitation power in Jimin wakes up. As a test, Jimin gently curls his fingers, which redirects the gentle breeze around him and sends leaves scattering in patterns on the ground.

"An air elementalist?" J-Hope wonders.

Jimin nods and steps back. "Whoever's down there can control air. I just imitated it. Which means they're still alive."

They look at each other and then back down at the tunnel, thinking.

"I think it's Y/n," J-Hope says eventually. "She's air, right? And she transferred all her energy to me when something horrible happened to her, which must've been her falling. She's strong so she made it alive."

This is it, Jimin thinks. This is his chance to show her he's changed.

It's fortunate that Jimin has enough elemental energy left within him to pull on the air from the crevice - he wasn't fighting in battle, after all - and he amplifies the source so he can examine it further.

It hugs him.

"Woah, wait," Jimin stumbles backwards a few steps.

"What happened?"

"It-" Jimin laughs. "I think it just hugged me."

"It hugged you?" J-Hope repeats.

"Yeah..." Jimin moves the energy around by waving his hands in the air to get a better sense of what he's feeling. "And it has Y/n written all over it. It's gotta be her!"

"Amazing!" J-Hope claps excitedly and peers down into the crevice again. "HANG ON Y/N WE GOT YOU!"

Jimin examines it further. Sending intentions like this through the elements? How is this even possible? The intent is clear and the hug is so sincere that even though he's essentially intercepting the message, he can still understand it. He flips the energy around again.

Then he frowns.

Maybe it's hidden somewhere in the message, or maybe it's the intuition they've developed with each other as a group, but Jimin locates a distinction between the sender and the receiver, and Y/n's name is constantly shifting in all directions - marking her as the intended audience.

Which means she didn't send it.

Which means...

"Wait. Hyung," Jimin glances up. "The hug I got was for Y/n."

J-Hope blinks. "What?"

"That's - I don't know how I know either, but it's coded in the energy as a message, and what I'm deciphering is that the hug isn't from Y/n, but it's meant for her."

"So who sent it?" says J-Hope. "Jungkook?"

"It's gotta be." Jimin gives his attention back to the energy in awe. A hug for Y/n. Jimin thinks about the connection they had together. If their relationship was so strong, maybe it wasn't all that out of the ordinary for feats like this to happen. He thinks of all the times they spent so long together in the practice rooms, of how awestruck and at home Y/n seemed when she entered Jungkook's white-themed room, of her anticipation crawling through the white tunnel leading up to it, of her grin when he talked about Jungkook's multiple white t-shirts.

Oh.

Jimin turns to J-Hope. "What color did you say the threads were this time again?"

"White?"