13: DINNER

mae

"You can drink, it's fine!"

I roll my eyes as Tom exaggerates his point again.

"No, I'm okay. I'll feel bad tomorrow if I get drunk tonight with them and you're sat here sober the whole time."

I have to speak a little louder than normal due to the other 3 actors on the other side of the booth shouting over each other, not even acknowledging our existence. They have no reason to shout, they aren't mad. They're just tipsy - on the verge of drunk.

"I'll still enjoy it! I love it when I'm sober around my drunk friends." He shrugs. "It means I get to make fun of them when they're back to normal."

He leans in closer as he says the last part, his tone light and making me laugh.

"Even more reason for me to not join them." I shoot back, grinning even after my laughter died down.

He shrugs again, smiling as well as he leans back against the leather cushioning of the booth.

We stay like this for a few moments, staying quiet and watching our drunk friends laugh and do whatever they're doing with amusement.

I lean my elbows on the table and my head rests on my hands. I contemplate for a second before just saying it, still looking forward as I do.

"I thought of another song. The lyrics definitely aren't completely finished, I'm changing some stuff, but it's there."

I can practically feel the surprise coming off of Tom when I make my announcement.

"When?"

"When you left today, after I came back from London. I was finishing up the other songs and this one came to mind."

"God, your mind is just..." He trails off.

I know what he's thinking, I've always been quick with music, I've been able to play piano by ear since I was like six - my mom thought I was a psychopath.

When I have something - the right something - it all just comes to me like a flood.

"Have you talked to Timothée about it?" He asks and then I look at him, my eyebrows furrowed with confusion. He's never brought him up before.

"What?"

"Well, y'know-" He cuts himself off and it almost seems like he himself was shocked by his words. "I'm wondering. I didn't know you two were so close until the whole premiere thing."

"Oh." I nod. "Yeah, he's something like my best friend even though he's a massive asshole. Y'know, the whole time I was in London with him, he was talking about you?"

"Me?"

"Yeah, you! Well, us. He wouldn't stop teasing me about speaking to you and posting about you.". I complain and yet I'm grinning, a laugh leaving my lips again. "He says that you seem 'fine' and that I haven't had a boyfriend in forever so I should ask you out."

The idea that I maybe shouldn't have told him that doesn't have a chance to enter my mind as Tom laughs.

"He didn't say that!"

"He did! He's such a little prick! Always up in my business and relationships."

"So, he thinks I'm 'fine'? I'm good enough?" He asks but it's obvious that he's not insulted, just amused and probably genuinely curious.

"Well, to be fair to him, he doesn't know you. He said he wouldn't mind meeting you, though, and to tell you that you were great in Hunger Games."

The Brit opens his mouth to reply but is cut off by Hunter and Rachel demanding that I go with them to the bathroom.

"Okay..?" I respond, shooting a confused glance Tom's way before sliding out of the booth.

Normally, going to the bathroom with them wouldn't cause me to be confused - but the stupid giggles and smirks that they're both sporting do.

As soon as we enter the large bathroom the two of them check that the stalls are empty before speaking.

"Jesus, be careful." I acknowledge the way that they're basically just tripping over each other in their drunken states.

"Okay, okay." Hunter breathes out, her expression going stern and her tone changing to a very over exaggerated serious one. "Me and Rach, and basically the whole world right now, sincerely believe that you and Tom need to sort your shit out and date."

She states and Rachel gives me a big grin. "Mhm! Do it!"

"What- No!"

"Do it! For us!"

"For you?"

"For yourself, too!"

"No!"

"You like him!"

I do.

"It's complicated." I mutter.

"I've gotta tell her." Rachel groans, looking at Hunter now who groans right back.

"We can't. We swore we wouldn't."

"We're drunk, who cares?"

"Hey!" I clap my hands once, gaining their attention. "Tell me what?"

"Fine! Just...don't tell Tom or Mae that we told you."

Hunter makes me promise and I frown as she asks me not to tell myself.

"I'm- screw it, sure! I won't tell them." I have to hold in a giggle at the drunken antics my friends are portraying to me. "What can't I tell them?"

"Tom's like in love with Mae-"

"He isn't in love! He likes her!"

"Same thing, no?"

"No!"

Fucking drunks. He doesn't like me. I dismiss the very idea of it, now just bored and waiting for them to stop bickering.

"Anyway! He's really weird and feels bad about it but he's jealous because he thinks Mae is now writing songs about Willy Wonka." Rach blurts and I pause.

"His name's Timothée!"

"Oh my- same thing!"

He mentioned Timothée earlier... oh shit.

——

verity_mae  💙

verity_mae  💙

view comments

tomblyth  i want photo credits
-> verity_mae  no !!🩷

username  SHE AND TOM WENT TO DINNER???
-> username  not rlly their friends were there too

username  i love her more than anything tbh

username  DENIM DRESSES ARE BACK?

——