Checkmate

(The cat is a design for April as a mutant, but the eyes are actually blue, I just forgot while drawing)

"Wake up, Leo you need to wake up."

Sleep...just leave, I'm tired.

"Wake up, this is important."

Go away...don't you hear me? Perhaps I'm too weak to be heard, or maybe you don't care. Just let me sleep.

"If you don't wake up on your own, then I'll force you awake myself."

That won't be necessary, I don't need to wake up. I need sleep, please understand. I can't recall very well, but I know that someone, I believe that he's my brother, told us that sleeping is important. The person that told us was an egghead, surely.

"I can't wake him up, Don. What do we do?"

"I'm thinking, Raph. Maybe he's just in a coma, he had a bad concussion, and I can't be sure if it damaged his memory. I still have tests to run!"

"When I found him, in the place April left him...he couldn't stand, talk, I'm not even sure if he understood what I was saying."

Are you talking about me? Is Don the person I referred to as an egghead? Are you worried? If I do wake up, will you answer my questions?

"Please wake up, we need you."

He opened his eyes, and it all flooded back so quickly, that he thought he might black out again. Raph hauling him up the stairs, being hit by a metal pipe and some that he didn't know he had, like being dragged into the med bay, or answering a board of questions...when did he do that?

"Thank goodness! How do you feel?" Donnie asked, plopping down next to Leo, who remained rather still on the bed. "Confused...I keep getting these flashbacks... while I was sleeping I didn't remember who I was, or who you were. It was like a hazy mist." He confessed.

"we're just glad that you're okay." Raph said, a smile on his face. "Is that what you're so happy about?" Leo asked suspiciously. "Yes. Our brother, leader, and king is back. Of course I'm happy!" Raph said, almost forcing truth into his voice. "Okay..." Leo said slowly. "Ignore Raph...he's been like that for days. Now, what about you?" Don said. "What about me?" "You said that you didn't remember anything while you were asleep." "Yeah, but it was like I had...recollections of certain events." Donnie seemed pensive, he turned in his chair, pulled out a clipboard and began to write something down.

Leo watched, unsure whether or not he should ask to leave. He decided that he could talk to Raph for the time being, and maybe get some answers. He turned to where his brother was, only to find that...he wasn't there. Great, just great. He turned back to Donnie, boredom slowly seeping in. And then he realized that Mikey wasn't here.

"Don?" Leo asked hesitantly. His brother was fine, of course he was fi- LEO STOP YOU'RE HURTING ME! The bandages slipped through his loose hands, and the soft blood spilled onto the- "Leo?" Donnie took Leo from whatever...that had been. "S-sorry. Just a flashback." Leo said, really hoping that it wasn't. Don sighed in relief before turning his attention back to the clipboard.

The soft scribbling seeped into Leo's ears, it was mildly annoying, but he could easily handle it. He decided to hum along to the sound of Donnie's pencil, which was playing a rather musical beat that he thought he recognized, but didn't remember. Don frowned for a moment, before strictly asking in annoyance, "will you stop that?" Leo chuckled softly at the retort, but ceased his humming.

"Soooo..." Leo said. Donnie moaned slightly, but allowed Leo to continue, "where's Mikey? And about Raph, do you know what he's hiding?" Don's frown increased in size, but he answered nonetheless. "Mike said he didn't want to see you. Raph and April are...let's just say together, for the moment. They think she's a mutant cat. I managed to create a supplement that will change her appearance during the day, but turn her human again at night. She takes it every morning." Donnie said quickly before Leo could pose any more questions.