At The Drop Of A Hat

Start from the beginning

She's lying. "Jennie is everything okay?"

//"I'm fine Jisoo. Just tired but I'm okay."

"Jennie. If anything goes wrong....if you really need someone....I'm here. Always. Okay? You may not trust me enough yet. But I will always help you and support you. Remember that."

//"J-Jisoo—" she says with her voice breaking.

"I'm coming," I say immediately and start to turn to Lisa to drop me at the airport but Jennie stops me.

//"N-No. You don't need to. Just...I just need to talk."

I relax in my seat. "Okay."

Lisa looks at me with questioning eyes and mouths, Is everything okay?

I give her a thumbs up and she nods and goes back to driving.

//"I....I was lying. Everything didn't go fine at the appointment."

I tighten my fingers on the phone.

//"My patient blamed for him getting cataracts because I wasn't always there for routine checkups."

I sigh. "Jennie. That isn't—"

//"I know that I did nothing wrong but at the same time....I'm the only person here for them. And there are a lot of older people that don't take care of their eye health as much as they do the rest of their body. Glasses aren't always the option."

"So what do you want to do?"

She laughs. //"You think I have a plan?"

"Yes," I reply confidently.

//"You're right then. I want to set up a clinic here."

"Then what's the problem? Money? Because I can give you how much ever—"

//"No Jisoo. I want to do this myself. But thank you."

"Okay....then why were you crying? It's not your fault and you have a plan. Is it just stress?"

//"No...it's just what you said. I needed to hear it. Despite having very supportive parents and friends, I like to do things by myself and deal with things by myself. Sometimes...I didn't realize that I would have loved it so much to hear it from you."

I have butterflies in my stomach and I smile. "No problem Jennie."

She laughs again and sniffles. //"Sorry. I don't know why I'm so emotional. Maybe I'll get my period soon."

I laugh loudly and Lisa stares at me weirdly.

She laughs with me on the other end of the phone. //"Thank you for listening. I'll call you again tomorrow if you're free?"

"I'm always free for you Jennie."

//"..."

"Jennie?"

//"I'll call you tomorrow! Bye!"

"Bye!" I say and she hangs up.

Lisa smiles. "I'm so happy that you're happy" then she frowns. "But this is getting out of hand. You were willing to fly to Jeju at the drop of a hat just because she sounded sad to you!"

I look at her. "When you like someone a lot, then you'll understand what it means to be like this."

She curses. "Someone has to like me for that to happen right? Unlike you, I would rather not live with unrequited love."

I sigh. "I'm just taking whatever I can get. We'll be divorced in a year anyways and then my heart can break and heal itself."

Lisa reaches over and places a hand on my shoulder.