Chapter 39

CW: Very graphic depictions of violence and character death.

Sebastian left Professor Sharp's office with a groan and satchel in hand.

When he was told he'd had detention, he had assumed he'd be writing lines or something. Not going on an excursion.

But, he listened, knowing Rosie would be completing her task without hassle and headed out of the castle grounds, heading into the forbidden forest.

The weather was warm, reminiscent of the day prior they spent on the lake and Sebastian found himself wishing that he was back on the peaceful waters, enjoying the sun with his girlfriend rather than suffering through a detention at 7am.

Sebastian reminded himself that the sooner he collected the stupid dittany leaves, the sooner he could get back to her.

So he began, luckily finding a few bushes right near the entrance of the forest. Sebastian knelt down, carefully examining the dittany plants. The vibrant purple leaves were easy to spot amongst the underbrush, and he plucked them with care, making sure not to damage the delicate foliage.

Though the bag had barely filled.

He sighed.

Sebastian knew he'd miss breakfast for sure. So he picked up his pace, breaking into a small jog and not bothering to be gentle or delicate with the leaves.

Sharp didn't specify what condition the leaves needed to be left in, after all.

At 7:45am, Sebastian had half a bag full.

He calculated that if he kept finding leaves at the rate he was, he'd be done by 8:30am, giving him time to get back to the castle and maybe pick up a pastry on the run.

And at 8:15am, he hit a slump. No more dittany leaves.

"Fuck it, he gets what he gets," Sebastian said to himself with a sigh, standing up and stretching his back out from bending down to pick all the leaves for an hour.

He loosely swung the satchel over his shoulder and began his trek back to the forest entrance, unclasping his robe to try and fan some fresh air onto his body that was getting rather warm at that point.

"Well, look what we have here..."

Sebastian jumped at first, though he rolled his eyes and crossed his arms in annoyance when he recognised the familiar voice.

"You don't give up, do you?" Sebastian groaned, spinning on his heels to see the annoyingly persistent little goblin they'd had many run-ins with before.

"Not when Boss gives the orders." Gobger laughed.

Sebastian snickered, "What? Too frightened to come by himself? Did he get scared off by a tiny little Unforgivable? Or did he knock his head on the way out of Feldcroft like I demanded he do?"

"Ask him yourself."

And Sebastian caught sight of Victor Rookwood walking out from behind a tree.

"You know," Sebastian smirked, dropping the dittany leaves, "It's a lot less intimidating when you send a goblin to announce your presence first."

Victor Rookwood chuckled, his sharp eyes narrowing as he surveyed Sebastian and the bag he'd just dropped. "Didn't think you'd willingly venture outside the castle alone again. I heard what happened to poor old Edmund back in Feldcroft."

Sebastian's fingers dug into his arms, swallowing down all the thoughts of the man he'd accidentally killed in Feldcroft, who he'd just now learned the name of. "Just collecting some potion ingredients for class. Speaking of class, do you often like to follow school children around, Victor?"