Chapter 27

Sebastian sat on the grass picking the stems out beneath him, furiously watching his ex-best friend and ex-girlfriend laughing and joking with each other, completely ignoring the game of Summoners Court happening before them.

The innocent grass beneath his crossed legs became a shredded mess as he tried to tell himself he was not jealous at all and was simply angry just because he had to look at them all class.

But why should they be happy and smiling when they were both in the wrong?

As soon as Professor Ronen dismissed class, he stormed off, repeating the mantra to himself that he wasn't angry.

"Do you think Sebastian is still mad at me?" Ominis asked Rosie as she helped him off the ground.

"Judging by the way he just stormed off, yep." Rosie said.

Ominis sighed. "I think I really messed things up this time."

"He'll come around in his own time, I'm certain. You've apologised, it's now in Sebastian's hands." Rosie reassured him.

"Yes, but things can never be how they were before. I broke the both of you apart for my own selfish reasons and he knows I loved him." Ominis said, his voice soft.

"Loved? Or love?"

"Primrose... please..."

"Ominis, come on." Rosie said, leaning back with a raised eyebrow. "I think you owe it to me to let me know the truth."

Ominis held his breath for a moment and took his bottom lip in his teeth. "Fine. I suppose I should start being honest, though not as honest as I was that night."

"You should. Well?" Rosie probed.

Ominis hesitated, waiting to make sure no one else was within earshot. But the ground had emptied out as students moved on to their next classes, leaving them alone on the grass.

"I do love him, Primrose. I think I always have," Ominis confessed. "But, I won't pursue it. There is no hope for me, it's clear he doesn't reciprocate my feelings and he never will and I think I've always known that. It's probably why I never acted upon it until I had the courage of alcohol in my system. His heart belonged to you and I believe it still does. He's just got to figure that out on his own."

Rosie felt her mouth go dry and she tried hard to swallow the lump in her throat. There was no way Sebastian still loved her. Not after what she did.

"I don't think so, but I appreciate your confidence, Ominis." Rosie said, "Maybe we both need to cut our losses and find other people."

Ominis laughed. "We'll see about that. I've got a wife I could take anyway, I'm certain that will stem any lingering feelings I have left."

"Are you sure committing to the arranged marriage is the right choice, Ominis? You will never be happy. Being with her is not who you truly are." Rosie asked, feeling concerned by Ominis' rash decision to jump into the marriage set by his parents.

Ominis sighed, continuing to pick at the grass between his fingers. "Primrose, my parents have planned this marriage to strengthen our family alliances. It's been expected of me since I was a child. It's going to at least protect their wealth, or what little is left, for a while longer."

Rosie frowned. She didn't like the idea that their youngest child was practically being sold off to protect their home simply because they are irresponsible with their money.

"Stop it. I can feel you judging me." Ominis scoffed.

"Sorry. Come on, we don't need to discuss it anymore. We should probably get to class anyway." Rosie said, holding out her hand and helping Ominis off the grass.