Ghost-War: Part 1

Start from the beginning

While the contestants listened closely to this knowledge, Fairy Tail hesitantly glanced at one another... They believed in Lucy, always have—some more than others—but they also knew Lucy was more strategy than fist. It's what made her a complete addition to Team Natsu as the brains of the operation—Maybe it'll show Lucy's battle with Angel or the Infinity Clock.

Down at the field, Lucy paled too—but not for the reason the crowd thought.

She knows exactly what will be projected... It's engraved into her mind... Her soul. Like fresh cut wounds that wouldn't close completely because the key upon her hip was a constant reminder. Almost sensing her distress, Lucy's keys jingled with a soft glow that caused Kagura and Lyon to glance at her with a raised eyebrow. Her instincts kicked in to shield her keys unconsciously, a hand placed upon them in reassurance as she forced a smile.

"...if you can't remember, the lacrima will search through your brain for it—However, beware... It's called Ghost-War for a reason. Your body will be here, but your subconscious will actually believe you to be in the battle itself. Whoever demonstrates the most MPF will be claimed top winner and for us, we'll get to see what life is like for a guild wizard on a daily basis!"

...Numbers were picked, and Lucy didn't know whether she should be grateful to be going last or crying that she couldn't get it over with.

"I believe in you Lulu!" Asuka screamed loudly from the balcony, a wide smile upon her face.

Lucy smiled gently at the little girl, taking a deep breath—She could do this... It relied on memory, right? Maybe she could manipulate it to show something else.

All she had to do was not think about it.

Yukino went first, showing the time when the Spirit World was affected by Eclipse—The irony, considering her and Lucy's magic were on a brief hold because of a temporary break in their contracts. Though perhaps it was more emotional as she fought Libra, one of her most treasured spirits.

Hibiki was second, a fight against Angel was one not to brag about—Easily defeated that had Hibiki crying on how low his MPF came out but as well for another reason... Remembering how Angel was the one who killed his first love. A serpent disguised as an "angel" that nearly led to his downfall with Nirvana.

Elfman was quite surprised when Bacchus's battle showed him.

Though it wasn't to anyone's shock when Kagura's mind showed the time she fought Erza and unleashed Archenemy. Erza was proud to say the least, nodding with an approving smile.

Lyon's memory seemed to be quite recent when a herd of beasts attacked their town. His magic power has grown tremendously since last year's Grand Magic Games—Yet, it still wasn't enough. Kagura so far has taken first place.

"Miss Lucy, I believe it's your turn pumpkin!" Mato gestured to the chair, Lucy could feel the prick of anxiety nipping at her skin and making it hot and tingly.

"Oi! Show that ghost who's boss Luce!"

"She's not actually fighting a ghost peabrain."

"The ghost is fighting us?"

"That doesn't even make sense!"

"Whatcha' say snowflake?!"

"Boys... Do I hear fighting?"

"N-No Ma'am!"

... "It's okay Lucy. It's not all bad, I promise," Yukino reassured, gently patting Lucy on the back before the blonde Celestial mage stepped up to the chair. Mato secured the cuffs—Neither realizing that Lucy's grip was tightened around Aquarius key for comfort.